Sunday 14 October 2018

Not just a pretty face


We watched a Hedy Lamarr film last night called 'Experiment Perilous'. I am not going to do a critique of it other than to say that I really enjoyed it. The lavish interiors, snow scenes in old NYC, the filming and the acting were a real treat.

Only a couple of days ago, I learned that Hedy Lamarr was much more than an extremely good-looking and gifted actress. She was also an inventor and engineer who is credited with creating a prototype Wi Fi system in the form of a 'frequency hopping' radio signal system capable of preventing the jamming of electrically-guided torpedoes. She felt guilty about escaping the war by making a lot of money in Hollywood, so she did her best to contribute to the effort by designing things which would help the Allied cause. She would bring her designs and calculations on set to work on them between takes. Who would have thought it?

One of her less successful inventions was a carbonated soft drink which even she described as tasting like Alka Seltzer. She described herself as having 'hobbies'. Maybe you knew of this already, but I don't know how I have got through all my life without.

I love finding out surprising and uplifting things like this about people.

While I am here, I want to make a tiny complaint (it would not seem right if I didn't). I follow quite a few people in Blogland who used to write posts almost every day, but now it seems all the work in our circle is being done by a handful of us. My reading list has gone from a bit too much to about four contributors, and I may have to widen my circle if I want to be entertained by others for longer than three minutes. Get writing.

19 comments:

  1. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6752848/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. H.I. has watched it, but I haven't - yet.

      Delete
  2. My father was inexorably tied to WWII; he wanted to go fight in "this man's army", but the government confined him in the job of designing electrical systems for blimps for convoys. I know I've told this before. He also was an unapologetic proponent for women engineers, and hired and mentored them throughout his career. He was the first person who told me of Heddy Lamar's contributors to the war effort. She was well known among his ilk, either a hero or a goat. Then I read about her fairly often, because all my life I have read most every printed word I encountered. I find her incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she was appreciated (by some) at the time.

      Delete
  3. I learned about that other part of Hedy Lamar's life just recently. To think she was so smart as well as beautiful and talented....it just doesn't seem fair that some people are born with such gifts! Her life story is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew that about Hedy Lamar Tom - brains and beauty - not two things associated in those days.
    I know what you mean about blogland shrinking - we are just a little tight circle now and I agree a few more would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understood why people are often surprised that intelligence & beauty go together.
    They showed a film on Hedy Lamar here in Berlin - but I was away. That - the many times I am hopping through the world since my life changed dramatically - is the only reason for not contributing to blogland on a regular basis. (Might write you a note). Seems that for the next three months I am quite settled here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can blame Hollywood and Miss World for that.

      Delete
  6. Sorry ..... life has been getting in the way ...... will try to do better !
    I knew that about Hedy ...... there was a programme on tele ....... one can learn much from the T.V ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about it from someone who saw the programme.

      Delete
  7. I had read something about her having also been an inventor. Lamarr was an incredible woman.

    I recall the 'Blazing Saddles' recurring joke with Hedy's name. Harvey Corman's character, Hedley Lamarr, repeatedly had to correct folk when they referred to him as Hedy. 'It's not Hedy, it's Hedley!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I remember from Blazing Saddles was the meal of beans around the camp fire, but then I am a schoolboy.

      Delete
  8. Such a clever woman. I will be blogging fairly often hopefully while in the UK so you get to read about where YOU live instead of where I live, which I find dull and always the same when I get up. Such is life!

    ReplyDelete