Monday 8 October 2018

It's alive!


First of all, I want a word with you lot. Stop using the old cliche 'Answers on a postcard, please' whenever you are trying to drum-up a few more comments in your already over-subscribed comments section unless you really want a postcard, in which case include your postal address with the item. Right. Can we get on now? (Answers on a postcard, please).

Not all of Bath is Georgian. Take the row of houses in Orange Grove, in the shadow of the Abbey. They are 17th century, but have been renovated and improved so much over the last 300 years that most people walk past them unaware but for a sneaking feeling that they look a little out of place in this town. It is a 'Grandmother's Axe' situation. The Abbey was once hemmed in by buildings like this (after the dissolution of the monastery) but they were all demolished to uncover more of the Roman Baths. One of them - overlooking the Great Bath - was where Mary Shelley wrote the best part of 'Frankenstein'. What is the best part, I hear you ask? Answers on a postcard, please.


Here's another 1600s building, but not so heavily restored. This grand 17th century frontage is now the rear wall of Jolly's Department store. All the windows have had their stonework replaced, but you can tell how old it is from the whitish stones of the main wall.

This stone is a white lias quarried about 15 miles out of Bath and was widely used up until Ralph Allen promoted the use of Bath Stone from his own quarries, fair-faced and cut into ashlar sizes.

I am thinking of conducting an alternative walking tour of Bath which would include sites like this. There are already walking tours themed for Jane Austen (yawn), Frankenstein and the Shelleys, etc. but this could be different. I could also go to places where famous buildings once stood (the original Pump Rooms, for instance), but I think I would probably spend a lot of time pointing at 1960s supermarkets, saying '...and here there was the famous...'. Do you think it would be boring? Answers in the comments section, please.

24 comments:

  1. You can't stop tradition; or maybe you can. Answers on a postcard please....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever been on one of the official guided tours of Bath? I went on a few in Norwich last year and eventually gave them up in frustration because I knew more than the guides. On more than one occasion I was asked if I could take over. The guides here learn like taxi drivers doing the knowledge test and get the answers from a set book and come from anywhere. All local knowledge is non-existent. I asked the last guide if he was from Norwich and he replied "good heavens no" in a tone of voice like "how mad of you to even ask". I am sure your idea of alternative tours would be very welcome by many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a tour guide describe the Royal Crescent as a fine example of 'Romanesque' architecture once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of the shop at the bottom of Milsom street which sold coffee beans (the smell was glorious), what about a pub tour? Georgian Bath's coffee shops and inns, must be a book around somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend wrote that book and the coffee roaster went years ago, I am afraid.

      Delete
  5. I'm so bored with looking at buildings. When I travel I actually do enjoy going to supermarkets: did you know that mayonnaise comes in a tube, like toothpaste, in Romania?

    You can also draw conclusions about the material culture of a place by going to used book stores, charity shops, and fabric stores. You used to be able to go to record stores to browse the local pop music scene, but that's another thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Johnson said, he who is tired of supermarkets is tired of life.

      Delete
    2. And I know about mayonnaise in tubes. I am not a complete yokel.

      Delete
  6. I think you would make a really good tour guide. ..... I think that you have a ‘ presence ‘ .... and you have the knowledge ..... and you are tall ...... and you could make an extra bit of cash..... I’d pay you to give me a tour. I was always very anti bus tours but went on one in Edinburgh and it was brilliant. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure such tours already exist. For if they don't, how will I ever find you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you would do well as a tour guide. I am sure it would not be dull as many of them are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was going bad, I would drop my trousers. It's an old trick.

      Delete
  9. Lot of flattering comments about you aboveTom - all I can say is that I have yet to see a supermarket which is exciting inside or out, so I don't wish to have a tour of them uness led by you of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Answers on a post card' indicates that there is no interest in the reply to the recipient, and so no point in actually posting it. Sort of like the Phone In competitions (that cost money to call) but you could always send a P.C., with your details on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see. In that case I will never bother to respond to anyone who says it.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Good. Thanks. You have made my mind up. I'm not doing it.

      Delete