Saturday 8 September 2018

King Box


Put away your bucket and spade, get used to wearing shoes again and brace yourself for class. Rehearsals for the school play begin this term.

For about four years I got the star part in all the school plays, until the final production when I didn't bother to learn the lines. The opening night was the worst in my brief acting career. At the end, some parents in the audience actually booed me. The teacher director stood on stage and formally apologised for my performance. The local paper wrote a review in which they said that I had single-handedly ruined it for everyone, and that I was a disgrace to the school. The second show was abandoned and the school broke up for Christmas.

The play was called 'King Box' (it should have been called 'king box) and was a moralistic and cautionary tale about the evils of watching too much television.

I played the evil King Box, and my costume was a Dracula-like cape with a massive cardboard box over my head, painted - so they thought - to look like a TV. The screen was a sheet of greaseproof paper which I could barely see through, but had the advantage of hiding my face from the audience. Without that screen I might well have been beaten up in the dark carpark after the show by some of my fellow actors' fathers.

My job was to stride around the stage commanding waxen-faced children to watch more TV. I cannot remember any of my lines but I couldn't even then, so this is hardly surprising 53 years later.

Toward the end of the play, the children gang-up on King Box and make a plan to rid themselves of his evil influence once and for all. They capture him and tie him up, then give him a good talking-to, after which he promises not to be so pushy and to leave them in peace to do their homework at night. He agrees to these conditions and the children release him.

The finale was the newly-freed children merrily dancing around the reformed King Box to horribly chirpy music piped onto the stage through the Tannoy. King Box was supposed to join in with the dance, but I refused to do even that, so stood perfectly still as they gambolled around me for what seemed an embarrassing age.

This was just TV for Christ's sake. What would they do about smartphones?!

14 comments:

  1. I, too was the lead in all the school plays until I woke up and realised there were better things to do with my friends !! Mine were mostly in primary school though .... there were probably more talented actors at Senior school ! I was Mary in the Nativity, the problem princess in The Problem Princess ( there’s s photo of both somewhere ) and some woman in a bonnet but I can’t remember the play ! Perhaps we should both join our local amateur dramatic societies !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The (schoolboy) director asked me if I'd like a part in the school play, I said as long as it's just a small part. The play was Arsenic and Old Lace, and he gave me the part of Mortimer which has about half the lines in the whole bloody play. I managed to get through it without any booing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds gruesome. It made me think back if we had school plays and I can't remember one at all in grade school. Concerts yes, but not plays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone played music in my school.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you screwed up for some tit of a teacher who thought his play was brilliant. I like it. Good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shite play which I didn't want to be in, but I should have just let someone else have the part. The teacher wanted me to play it because I was about a foot taller than anyone else.

      Delete
  5. Not my smart phone. It's Smart; my life is on it. How about, say drugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be a horribly real play. I think I would prefer pantomime in the run-up to Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Does this mean you have always been a bit Bolshie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must do, Weave. I was the only kid to refuse to go along with hymns and prayers at assembly.

      Delete
  7. It seems like the experience has gone deep and had an effect for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just one of many school experiences which coloured my life, Avus.

      Delete