Sunday 16 September 2018

It could be you (but it probably won't)

Today, I feel like anything is possible. I woke up remembering the advice, God helps those who help themselves, but then immediately recalled how it was abused and mis-used at the fraternal dinner table when there was only one roast potato left.

The other old adage 'know your limitations' throws a bucket of cold water over dreams and ambitions, especially when you are my age or older, but it is far kinder to say that to me than it would be to say it to my grandchildren.

Dynasties of actors are pretty much irrefutable evidence to support the predominance of nurture  over nature, but the right environment to bring out the best in children has to include opportunities provided by connections, or even just having a few spare moments when the struggle to stay alive is not your sole purpose in living. These days, those moments are considered luxuries which most cannot afford.

Dreamy kids in a commercial world.

15 comments:

  1. It depends on the quality of the child, too. I mean that sincerely, and one could happen to you but probably won't. I believe GE qualifies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green eyes? I'm getting old, you know.

      Delete
    2. Ah, sorry Joanne. I was thinking along the 'Good Education' lines'. She is another story altogether I think.

      Delete
  2. It is a very long time since I had a day whenI felt anything was possible Tom - probably won't have one ever again I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I meant anything was possible - within limits.

      Delete
  3. I don’t think I have many great expectations ...... I am resigned to the life that us oldies have which is fine .... it’s still nice !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hurt my foot recently (too much roller-skating?) and feel like I should have heeded the above words. -certainly feeling limited now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first adage always makes me think of burglars!

    ReplyDelete