Sunday 23 September 2018

Hooked

Want to know what I have been watching? Well I'll tell you anyway.

The entire series of 'Patrick Melrose' starring Benedict Cumberbatch. It is supposed to be a comedy, but the tortured life of Patrick (drug and alcohol addiction, sexual abuse from his father, etc. etc.) makes for slightly squeamish laughter. Cumberbatch is a brilliant actor.

Last night, half of the box-set of 'Killing Eve'. Implausible, but very entertaining. I like both the female characters, and despite all that killing it is funnier than Patrick Melrose, especially when you consider that P.M. is a true (ish) story.

Tonight is the last episode of 'Bodyguard'. Can't wait. Even more implausible than Killing Eve, but addictive like all good (or even bad) drama series should be. They asked somebody who knows if there really are as many women snipers in the Met as there are in the series, and he said 'probably', but all bomb-disposable experts seem to be men. Someone else said that we would be surprised at how many bodyguards form intimate relationships with their wards, but I would find it hard to believe that the Foreign Minister would end up shagging her PPO, even if she did have a penchant for a bit of rough.

All of 'Trust', the dramatisation about the kidnapping of Paul Getty Junior starring Donald Sutherland. Anything with him in is always worth watching. Also, I was brought up a few miles from Sutton Place during the time when it was all happening, so I had an extra interest in it. One thing I found completely believable was the utterly callous behaviour of J.P. Getty 1st. He was renowned for it, and it has been so well documented that you don't have to suspend disbelief. The only authenticity which slipped occasionally was when Sutherland's accent slipped into Canadian. Even as an old man, Donald Sutherland still manages to get parts which involve him having vigorous sex on camera. How many years since Julie Christie I wonder?

We watched all the Poldarks, and that really is a silly but addictive melodrama. The times I laughed watching it were for all the wrong reasons. The exterior scenes were the most ludicrous. The locations manager would choose a windy cliff-top in Cornwall, then make it bustle with village life by having wooden barrels or trestles lying around to obvious purpose, or an old women spinning yarn in an exposed spot on the grass and other villagers wandering in and out of shot as Poldark converses darkly with his missus about trouble in the mine before taking his shirt off  - again.

Prior to these, the last time I got hooked on a TV series when when we all wondered who shot J.R. I have a lot of catching up to do.

20 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of the programmes you mentioned even the bodyguard ( who has had. Near hysterical media comments) has missed me..

    I'm waiting for my zombies to return

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well funnily enough I haven't seen one Walking Dead. Horses for courses...

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen them either. I like to watch plane crash investigations and have watched a lot recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am watching all of them apart from Trust ...... I’m a bit confused with Killing Eve but I’ve only seen the first one so It might become clearer in part two when I get round to watching it. I’m also watching Press ..... did you miss that one or didn’t you fancy it ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to see Press. You have just reminded me of it. I don't want to subscribe to bloody Netflix, and why should we if the BBC keeps commissioning drama?

      Delete
    2. I totally agree ...... everyone keeps telling us to get Netflix mainly to watch The Crown but, we can’t watch all the tv that we’ve got plus the stuff we have recorded ! There are only so many hours in a day I think Another Country might be back soon as well. XXXX

      Delete
  4. I love the show Poldark...but I've never noticed the sets...at least not when Aiden Turner is in the scene! My god, but that's a sexy man. I'd be happy to watch anything he's in, especially when he takes his shirt off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He reminds me too much of an idiot I employed once.

      Delete
  5. Am I alone in the world in hardly watching any TV?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poldark can be pretty saucy & I like that.
    I've not yet seen Killing Eve, but I did watch Fleabag (also from Phoebe Waller-Bridge). It was a difficult show to get through, but very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe sounds like a laugh to me.

      Delete
    2. Fleabag was great. Waller-Bridge is the reason I gave Killing Eve a try. Well, she and Sandra Oh. I watched all of Killing Eve in two evenings and loved it.

      Delete
  7. I watched several of PM episodes and Benedict was brilliant. I really love watching him. I watched all the Sherlock episodes with him and enjoyed them immensely. Yes, I have been binge-watching on Netflix for about a year now. I think I should be able to speak Spanish now by all of the sub-titled films I have watched. I'm hooked on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all the Sherlocks on DVD. I have a mate who was one of the cameramen. I watched The Crown on someone else's Netflix account.

      Delete
  8. We're going to watch the last episode of Bodyguard tonight. Looking forward to it. Is the Home secretary still alive as seems to be the supposition of many? Also loving Killing Eve. I do enjoy a drama that has comedy in it. As much of life does. That's the trouble with lots of British dramas: they're so black and gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love Benedict Cumberbatch!!! Series have a high hooking potential. (I wrote a manuscript about English Crime TV Series - in my bookshelves with DVDs you find hundreds of series.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock Holmes began life as a daily series in a newspaper.

      Delete