Saturday 7 July 2018

Listening to bats


On days like this I would look out of my bedroom window in Surrey and see the golden angel of Guildford Cathedral twinkling on the smoke-blue horizon, fifteen miles distant.

Being the youngest by ten years, I spent most Summers on my own doing nothing, with more than enough time not to do it.

I have always been gifted with the ability to day-dream at will, or maybe it is the lack of will which gives me the ability. On more than one occasion I watched the school bus arrive and leave before I realised that I should have got on it when the doors opened. Also on more than one occasion I did get on it, only to find that the school was closed for the Summer break.

I didn't care about other children laughing at me for being in uniform when they were in holiday attire, because being legally able to go straight home from the closed school gates was as blissful as it is to be horribly woken by the alarm clock which you forgot to switch off on Friday night, then rolling over and going back to sleep.

The things which figure the most in my collection of childhood Summer memories usually feature water. Staring into the misty greenish channel of the virtually stagnant Basingstoke Canal, or into the limpid depths of a disused mill-pond inspired the longest periods of revery.

Near to our house was an area which you could probably describe as a bog, were it not a series of very dry little islands surrounded by shallow, crystal clear water from a hidden spring which never failed.

It was set - almost secretly - right in the middle of deciduous wood, and the leaves of the trees allowed just enough sunlight to dapple through, keeping the still air cool on the hottest of afternoons.

The islands were so small that it was possible to jump from one to the other to get to the centre, where you could sit down on the grass-tufted top and begin daydreaming in the security that having your own personal moat affords.

This was a magical, ancient area, of which Surrey has a surprising quantity - surprising because of its proximity to bustling London, linked as it is by a chain of detached houses and gardens stretching a mere thirty miles through country which has seen little change since the Bronze Age. This was classical stock-broker belt, and in my day they all got on the weekday train to Waterloo wearing bowler hats, with an umbrella under one arm and a copy of The Times under the other.

Back in our mock-Tudor house (I think Surrey invented mock-Tudor), I would lie on the bed with all of the leaded windows wide open, watching bats flit around the room looking for stray insects, or perhaps just exploring for the fun of it. I could hear bats in those days.

I was looking for some evocative pictures of Surrey countryside when I found that photo. What it has to do with Surrey (ask the BBC) I do not know, but I had to use it.

37 comments:

  1. Summers were always long and hot then weren't they? I was mostly out on my bike on my own. I played games with imaginary people a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember falling into reverie when staring into puddles watching raindrops hit them too. I had an imaginary (American) girlfriend.

      Delete
  2. Rach is right....I remember walking on hot pavements to my grans house , and watching tiny red spiders , hundreds of the running from the cracks.

    I never see those spiders now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spiders live on natural stone. I see them a lot even now. There is the puddles dreaming (as mentioned above) as well as the long hot Summers.

      Delete
    2. Only the other day, I had to make some stone coping wet, and the red spiders ran for the water to congregate.

      Delete
  3. We have bats living behind the wooden boarding up at our barn. They piss where they hang, and it makes a bit of a stink inside the barn. Not quite sure what we can do about it, other than replacing all the boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get a bat toilet and train them to lift the seat.

      Delete
    2. Bats gain entry into our log home. Not so much anymore as some disease almost did away with our brown bats. Their piss takes paint off metal! And streaks mirrors and picture glass. I miss them but I don't miss them!!

      Delete
  4. Magical memories ..... we used to go out early after breakfast and get back for tea ..... on our bikes or roller skates we played down by the river and dared each other to run through the tunnel where there were rats and dirty old men 🤣. Our Aunt and Uncle lived in Camberley and my cousin used to take us to ponds and lakes with swans and lots of other idyllic places. Simple, carefree days long gone 😥 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was close to Camberley. Rats and dirty old men. Lovely.

      Delete
    2. I don’t think there were any ...... just our over active imaginations !!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. Oh, that feeling of waking up on the first day of the school summer holidays! Six weeks of dreaming and messing about stretched ahead seemingly for ever - and I always felt much “older and wiser” going back to school in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always had three weeks in Brighton with an aunt and uncle. Beachboys, The Lanes and the pier.

      Delete
    2. No, I mean one week. Two would have been two too many.

      Delete
  6. I remember bats flying up and down our road and lizards basking by the walls. Owls hooting on the railway embankment and swallows and swifts in the summer. All gone sadly. Decking, bark, stones and paving slabs have replace the gardens. Southern Rail have destroyed the railway embankments and so we are deplete of any wild life. Sad.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still scorpions at Ongar station if you're interested.

      Delete
  7. We have bats and I love them. As to the photo - it looks to me as though someone has stick a picture of an elephant on a Surrey background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a dream, that photo, but not one I have ever had.

      Delete
  8. I have a bad memory of bats; horrible sensation to wake up in a dark room, in the middle of the night, to discover that the noise in the room is a bat. The worse part is capturing it.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should not have allowed the Count in in the first place.

      Delete
  9. Hot Summer's playing over the hills and far away or sitting trying to make a blade of grass squeak whilst watching my Dad scything the long grass in the churchyard or on the green. He was the only man who knew how to use a scythe in our village and he never took his shirt off to do it - or his tie or those metal stretchy things that held his shirt sleeves in just the right position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arm bands. I had a pair, but took them off for scything. I could use a scythe, and quite often did.

      Delete
  10. The first day of summer holidays, what good memories. We always went to the lake and spent the first 2 weeks of July there. When we were a bit older we would listen to the Beatles and the Stones on a transistor radio by the dock and plan our escape to London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I went when I was 19 and lived there a year and then for work and many holidays since. i was last there in 2016. My grandkids came that year and we did the Pinewood Harry Potter tour. They loved that. My picture above is the same year.

      Delete
    2. I want to go yo the Harry Potter studios. I have not yet grown up.

      Delete
    3. It was worth it. The sets are impressive.

      Delete
  11. Some of my best childhood memories involve water, too. In my case it was the ocean, since the town I grew up in was a quick 45 minute drive away from the beach. My extended family on my mom's side rented a beach cottage in Cherry Grove, SC, every summer for a week or two. My cousins and I would spend all day playing in the ocean, and after the sun went down we'd hang out at the arcade that was right at the beach. And it was wonderful to fall asleep at night with the salty fresh air coming in the open windows and the sound of the surf a block away. Those were good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our 'big' summer vacation was a camping trip to NE California for two weeks on a lake. -swimming, sunburns, bats zooming around in the sky at night & the occasional scorpion in the toilets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely and nostalgic post, which most of us of a similar age can identify with. Rachel was right, we always recall childhood summer holidays as blue skies and hot sun. Surrey is great, my partner lives in Blackwater, near Camberley and we have had some terrific walks along the rivers Blackwater and Whitewater and where they merge into the Broadwater. The River Wey is also a lovely habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Waverley Abbey. One of my favourite haunts.

      Delete
  14. Oooooo ..... reading all of those comments and your replies has made me feel all Enid Blytony !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gerry Cottle's Circus had winter HQ in Surrey, they stopped having animal acts a while before closing and owning Wookey Hole. Perhaps your photo could have been a retired G.C. foontont on the farm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good bit of detective work, Potty. I now live quite close to Wookey Hole too. Gerry Cottle is following me around.

      Delete