Tuesday 24 April 2018

Rites


I am now entering my 67th Spring. H.I. has bought tickets to the theatre for my birthday in May. It has been years since I went to the theatre, the last time being an execrable thing about Rupert Bear for children. The child we took is now 25, so that was how long ago it was. At the time, even he pronounced the production to be 'crap'.

We are going to see 'The Final Curtain', which is about Sherlock Holmes in retirement, trying to recover his failing powers of reason by using exotic herbs. I know how he feels.

It has been weeks since I drank coffee in the morning. Not drinking coffee would have been unthinkable to me only a few months ago, but when I have tried recently it makes me feel slightly queazy, so I don't bother. I might take up having an espresso or two in the afternoons, but that would not be the kick-start I used to look forward to at breakfast. Coffee was an inspiration.

Have I mentioned that I am now regularly taking tincture of 'Devil's Claw' for arthritis? It is the root of an African flower (of that name) and is not unpleasant to taste - reminiscent of the woody flavour of liquorice root. It is said to alleviate the more painful symptoms of arthritic joints (and all of my joints now are painful to one degree or another) and I have discovered that it actually works - sort of. It definitely helps anyway. Its beneficial effects are said to be diminished by caffeine, so maybe it's good I don't drink coffee in the mornings.

They have done a couple of authoritative surveys and tests on Devil's Claw and the results seem to show that it has just as good an effect as prescription drugs but without the side effects - well, the same side effects anyway.

Have any of you old codgers had any experience with Devil's Claw (aside from being scratched by them in the night)?

P.S. What is that stuck up Nijinsky's jumper in the photo? Oh hang on, He isn't wearing a jumper and that shadow is negative not positive. My eyes are going too, but I still have the imagination of a 12 year-old.

26 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are getting some relief from the Devils Claw. I am very into Hyaluronic Acid .... it is naturally occuring in our connective tissues throughout our bodies and cushions our joints and nerves, works as a shock absorber lubricating the fluid in the joint tissues hence easing joint pain. It also fills the eyes and has an anti bacterial and anti inflammatory activity. I get dry eyes and used to use artificial tears but since taking Hyaluronic Acid haven’t had to use the drops !! We lose 40% of our Hyaluronic acid by the time we are 40 so it could help you but, if you are happy with your Devils Claw then if it ain’t broke don’t fix it ! Just thought I would mention it as it’s meant to be really good for arthritis. It also helps skin and hair ...... by the way, I don’t have shares in it !!! Hope you enjoy the play 🎭..... you do love Sherlock so you might enjoy this one. 🎻 There isn’t a deerstalker hat emoji so the violin will have to do ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started taking turmeric for arthritis, maybe we could compare notes in a few months?
    Hope you enjoy the play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turmeric is supposed to be good for all sorts of things, especially for men.

      Delete
  3. I take red wine for memory; it seems to be working, my memory is getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink to forget, like the old Foreign Legion.

      Delete
  4. Will have to try Devil's Claw as I'm falling apart too - there again Ouzo works well when in Crete and the locals swear by raki (a local hooch) either rubbed in or drunk! Enjoy the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather would help in Crete too - not to mention the olive and seafood based diet.

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of Devil's Claw but as I can barely walk due to arthritic ankles and knees I might well try some. Would I get it anywhere other than Hell itself? If so where please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holland and Barratt, good chemists and - of course - online. Should be between £7 and £10 for a 100ml bottle. You can get capsules as well.

      Delete
  6. I've added turmeric to my routine. Don't know that it adds much, except to keep the economy moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I know is that it doesn't do any harm - aside from turning your fingers yellow.

      Delete
  7. I have many things but not arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turmeric is also a blood thinner,pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be an anti-coagulant, but I doubt if it thins the blood. Warfarin thins the blood, sometimes fatally. Maybe you know more than me about it.

      Delete
    2. You seem to be the expert Yael, is it good for high blood pressure? If it thins the blood, I suppose I’ve answered my own question?

      LX

      P.S. I’m worried about you Tom, next thing is, bits will be falling off and that would never do...

      Delete
    3. Someone is always around to pick up the pieces.

      Delete
  9. Just looking in my 1982 edition of the Home Herbal and it says that Devil's Claw is the greatest 20th Century discovery for the treatment of arthritis. Expect results in two to three weeks of taking it. Then carry on for 8 to 9 weeks with it and then give it a break for a few weeks before taking up another course. If no results seen in a month discontinue and try celery seed capsules. So there you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That is good news, Thanks for the research.

      Delete
  10. ...with reference to your last sentence
    .....and with the sense of humour to match

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Willies and ladies front bottoms. That's me.

      Delete
  11. Devils claw is sold at our Walmart stores. It’s readily available. I think I’ll try it for my arthritis in my knees. Popping ibuprofen twice a day for pain isn’t idea. Gabs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chemical anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drugs are not good for people over 50 years of age. Too high a risk of strokes, etc.

      Delete
  12. Devil's Claw can be given to dogs as an anti-inflamatory. But warnings about it's use with aspirin, ibuprofen and blood thinners would suggest we take great care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I only ever take aspirin as a painkiller but I will look into the possible effects of mixing.

      Delete