Monday 9 April 2018

Garden Hermes


This is the marble Hermes. I'll put up another 'after' picture when I have cleaned the lichen off it.

It is a bearded man whose legs are foreshortened beneath him and out of sight in this pic. The child Dionysus is draped over his right shoulder with one leg on Hermes's upper right thigh. Hermes is holding onto Dionysus's right arm and the child's head (now almost gone) would have been resting against the right cheek of Hermes, who has a thick cape around his shoulders and is carrying something in his left hand - probably a wine flask. The piece is 11 inches long, but about an inch has broken off the bottom, taking one of Hermes's feet with it. It was set in a wall sometime in the 19th or 20th century, and you can see some ordinary cement mortar with which it was fixed.

What I really love about it is that Hermes represented all sorts of things to all sorts of people. Alchemists and heretics used him as a symbol for their secret societies, and he also symbolised Hermits - reclusive Christian monks who devoted their lives to helping travellers by guiding them through remote, hostile and dangerous country. Hermits are often depicted holding lamps as well as Mercurial staffs.

How did it get here? My guess is that is was brought back from Italy by a private collector, or it could have been bought from an Antiquities dealer any time between the 18th and 20th century. I think it is unlikely that he was brought to Bath by the Romans, as only a few such objects would be very weighty to carry.

There are many crude Roman carvings of deities in Britain (especially in Bath) which are associated with pagan temples or roadside shrines and altars put up by the invaders, but they are almost always built in stone local to the area. This is made from Italian marble.

There is a theory that Hermes also represented the spread of Christianity throughout the pagan world, or at least the beginning of monotheism. You can read lots of this stuff on the net. That's what I did.

13 comments:

  1. What a find! It makes the rusty old turning handle found on the beach just below the Harbour Arm in Folkestone look a bit sick in comparison!

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant ..... a great find. We just find loads of broken Victorian crockery when we dig the garden. We have found clay pipes and a little mourning vase ( which was perfect abd then I dropped it and now it’s in two pieces !! )and a porcelain dog but nothing as good as your friend’s marble Hermes. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dropped it. Give me a few days to calm down and them I will talk to you again.

      Delete
    2. I know ..... it was perfect as well ! I had it on the mantelpiece and dropped it on the tiles ! Please forgive me 🙏 XXXX

      Delete
  3. My imitations, cast concrete, pale in comparison, but make me smile at my need to add my touch to my garden.
    I suppose the vegetation must be removed and the little carving made as pristine as possible. I wonder did it acquire its patina by living outdoors in a garden, or by being lost and living in the ground for some centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the above. It will never be pristine, but you will see it as it should be.

      Delete
  4. Clever you to spot it is all I can say - just looks like a bit of old stone unless you know what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look like a bit of old stone weave too unless you know what you are looking for

      Delete
    2. My eye is tuned-in Weave. Instinct and confidence is also well developed, but I a not one for covering my own arse.

      Delete
  5. You have a good eye, Tom. What an exciting find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have. I have a very good imagination as well. I am open to anything - Heaven, Hell, God and the Devil. It's all the same to me.

      Delete
  6. You live on a great big pile of history! I wonder what we would find if we could peel back the layers.

    ReplyDelete