Saturday 24 March 2018

Painting in stone


I gave this slice of Cotham 'Marble' to the two ladies at the marble yard when I was there. About 20 years ago, I sold the owner four tons of it and this is from a small batch which I kept back. You can see why it is also called 'Landscape Marble'.

I have been thinking about getting someone to let me make a pietra dura table for them, but when I think of the hundreds of hours of painstaking and fiddly work involved, I think again. I have a vague image of a circular table with a line of Cotham Marble trees running around the edge. The grass would be green stone, the water blue and everything else would be any colour to suit from the natural palette of semi-precious stones.

Never seen pietra dura? Here are some samples below.




I'm off for a few days, so see you next week at some point.




15 comments:

  1. That’s beautiful ...... where are you off to .... somewhere nice ? Have a lovely time wherever it may be. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auf weidersehen. There's a clue there Jackie. xxx

    Have a good time Tom. The table thing examples look like a cross between a carpet, an aquarium and a piece of wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a pietra dura Tom - your three examples are beautiful.
    Oh so that's where you are going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it is not exactly a holiday, but I will try to treat it like one.

      Delete
  4. You need special fine saws and a lot of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do they get 'Brighton' written all the way through the rock? Cro should know this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should ask the Docwra family in Great Yarmouth who are the leading rock manufacturers in the country. I think they always say its a secret though.

      Delete
    2. There are probably videos on YouTube if you really want to know !🤣 XXXX

      Delete
  6. That’s so beautiful. I like the natural piece very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You see landscape marble as centrepieces in old Chinese furniture. Culturally, they really get it. Your pietra dura examples are amazing - I'd seen geometric patterns in tabletops before but nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounded waspish and on re-reading it thought I must be prudent and spike it.

    LX

    ReplyDelete