Sunday 25 February 2018

Scotland 25, England 13


Anyone spot yesterday's deliberate mistake about today being Mother's Day? I thought not. The Americans amongst you can be forgiven, but it just shows how the rest of you flit through these long, tedious posts, often without reaching the end. I gave the two kid's of the friend of mine a near heart-attack on the walk to lunch yesterday, and they frantically Googled up the correct date. March 11th... or was it tenth?

I just put up the rugby result to rub Colonel Blimp's nose in it. The world is turning upside down. Next thing you know, Scotland will be winning The Ashes. A Scottish Spring.

I have only ever been to Scotland in the Spring and Winter. This is not forward planning to avoid the Highland Midges, it just worked out that way. My friend married the Plantagenet up there in the Spring, and I spent a prolonged and drunken Hogmanay in Argyle once. I dropped out after four consecutive days, but the locals carried on for another two weeks.

For the wedding, we flew to Glasgow, hired a Mercedes A Class and drove another hundred and fifty miles, much of it in the dark.

For all of her life up to that point, H.I. had insisted that she hated Scotland, but could never say exactly why. She is like that about a lot of things. As we were crossing Glen Coe in the Spring sunshine, she looked at the spectacular - almost surreal - landscape and said, "This is beautiful!"

32 comments:

  1. It was bloody ridiculous. Everyone saw it; the English intercepted a pass, and had an open field ahead of them to score, when that idiot ref' noticed that we were about to score he awarded the caber tossers a penalty. I don't think I've ever seen such blatant cheating. If I'd been the English Captain, I'd have taken my team off the pitch. Lady Magnon was livid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the ref gave me a laugh anyway. Watch your ticker.

      Delete
    2. It was, of course, more punishment for Brexit. Europe loves Scotland and hates England.

      Delete
    3. Well we did expect to get gubbed by England!. But no .Edinburgh will party for weeks. On the news in princess st gardens lone england supporter chucked in the fountain, but he said i cheered for scotland. Guys fished him out n gave him dry clothes😂.

      Delete
  2. I spotted it but couldn't be arsed to say anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose my "not worth mentioning" is the same as "couldn't be arsed".

      Delete
    2. It has the same disdainful implications.

      Delete
    3. Cro is just a bad loser!. And sent them homewards tae think again.... 😂

      Delete
  3. Mother's day is in May here so I missed it. I always enjoy the fringe festival in Edinburgh and we have been lucky to have good weather. I hope to hike the West Highland Trail this year. Well, that's the plan anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought you were telling us of your plans for Mother’s Day on the 11th.
    I’m with Cro and Lady M on the rugby ...... bloody ref must have Scottish connections .... I reckon he was pretending to be Welsh !!!!! ...... I shouted at the ref for 80 minutes ! Scotland is indeed s beautiful country though. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you had a strange reading of it Jackie.

      Delete
    2. What of Rachel ? Tom and Mother’s Day or the rugby ? XXXX

      Delete
    3. Oh right. I just read it wrong probably !!!! XXXX

      Delete
    4. Scottish Mother's Day is linked to Macbeth. 'When shall Wee Free meet again...?'

      Delete
  5. I think Scotland is lovely. Interesting hills and light. I think England is lovely. Fields of bluebells, old forests. Wrapped thinly around old industrial cities and new money markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That about sums it up. The Surrey stockbroker belt is set in heathland which hasn't changed for 3000 years.

      Delete
  6. I noticed it and didn't say anything because I thought Mother's Day is on a different day to us here; here it always falls on the second Sunday of May.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spotted your mistake and panicked, thinking I had got it wrong, but as I have no mother, it didn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you are a mother, Weave. It is not your job to panic!

      Delete
  8. East Scotland is the best - it looks like Yorkshire before it was ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My only experience of Scotland Are bad ones..
    10 and 11 year olds in caravan holidays with 1970 parents

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just thought that you were celebrating Mother's Day early for some reason!!

    ReplyDelete