Sunday 3 December 2017

Two more than 6


It is almost unheard of that I buy Christmas presents earlier than around Christmas Eve, but when I saw a set of eight, hollow-stemmed, 1930s Champagne glasses in pristine condition for not a huge amount of money, I knew exactly who I would give them to. She aspires to Champagne, and has learned that Limoux is just as good and a third of the price.

The stems are hollow which mean two things - you can get more in them and somehow the Champagne fizzes a lot more. I have a theory that because the stems are difficult to get down and clean properly, the specks of remaining dirt causes the wine to sparkle even more.

EIGHT! Worth having a dinner party for.


22 comments:

  1. There must be a Heath Robinson plan somewhere which involves an electric drill and some pipe cleaners. It should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, push the boat out, Christmas comes but once a year .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely glass, and suitable for a woman. It seems that one has to tilt the glass a lot further to allow the champagne to empty from the stalk; complicated if a man, or woman has a pronounced nose.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Googled instantly Champagne & Limoux - and found Crémant de Limoux and will try it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blanquette is what I know. It is delicious. The Champagne method was invented in the Limoux area by monks.

      Delete
  5. I have ten of those and they are delightful....pity we seldom drink champagne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you fibbing a teensy weensy bit?

      Delete
    2. No....my twin sister has given me several over the years for Christmas , do you want me to photograph them?

      Delete
    3. No, I believe you. I just thought you were trying to eclipse me - again...

      Delete
    4. You have already cos we never use ours

      Delete
  6. It's nice to see you with something so lovely and fragile in your hands after the crash. I'm always several days behind in my blog reading so I am late in telling you how glad I am that you are ok and that no one was in the passenger seat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel blessed and grateful, both for myself and the person in the passenger seat who was not. I am - as most of us are - very, very lucky.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. John has ten. I am sure he can spare one or two.

      Delete
  8. It's very hot here and we are enjoying a rather refreshing crackling Muscato - very sweet but so grapy and delicious. Love the glasses. I await my dinner invitation!

    ReplyDelete