Friday 15 December 2017

Echoes of the big bang

Everyone in offices seem to be very reluctant to talk to each other these days. I think the competitive spirit has been embraced a little too enthusiastically at the expense of efficiency.

Two weeks after my head-on collision with the delivery driver, my insurance company sent me a letter asking me why I had not reported the accident and saying that I should call them up immediately to avoid adversely affecting my no-claims bonus.

I tried to call them on the number they gave to tell them that the matter has been in the hands of a claims-management company since the day after it happened, but I was put in a queue using an expensive telephone number, so I sent them an email explaining my confusion over their letter and recapping on the basic details, including the picture of the black mark on the road which proves that I was pushed back by 10 feet from the force of the impact. I added that since the collision was obviously the fault of the other driver, I had no intention of making a claim and losing my bonus. I will not be paying a penny, and if anyone wants to sue me, then let them try.

The man who delivered my courtesy car and took away the smashed Volvo put all the paperwork before me one by one, explaining what each bit meant and asking me for signatures here and there. Then he got to one form on which he had written 'Call Client' in large letters all over the front.

He said, "I wouldn't sign this if I were you, but it's up to you".

It was a form giving the company all my credit card details and the mandate to take as much money from as they want from my account, any time they thought it due - for instance, for the car-hire in the event of the third party not taking full responsibility for being at fault. I will refuse to go 50/50 if the insurance companies try to do a deal to soften the blow. The old Volvo was worth about two days care-hire.

I am full of admiration for that truck driver.


29 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a claims management company except in relation to PPI claims. I thought it was a matter of course to inform your insurance co. of involvement in an accident and the other party's details even if you are not intending to make a claim. I must be old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Rachel. "Old fashioned" doesn't come into it, just normal procedure. Though claims management companies will call you up (cold) on off chance that you had an accident in the last few weeks. If you tell them you haven't they won't take no for an answer.

      Anyway, you need a personal assistant to take care of you, your paperwork and everything else. Are you sure you haven't had some sort of concussion during your ten feet back shove from impact?

      Echo greetings, and I won't sign with 'U' since, as you said, it makes you ignore even the most benign uttering of mine,

      Ursula

      Delete
    2. You are so thick-skinned that I cannot be bothered to delete you from here, even though you have not - at the moment - been particularly offensive.

      But I know you of old, Ursula, and there will - without doubt - come a time when you will revert back to your usual unpleasant and argumentative self, so please do me the favour of going away before I force you to go away.

      We cannot like or get on with everyone, and I do not know your personal details, and I do not want to be cruel to anyone, but I would like you not to come back here if you are going to turn into the person who I have come to know and disrespect.

      Delete
    3. Have no fear, she's still making crass comments. The most recent on my page was to insult Weaver in the most idiotic manner. A leopard doesn't change its spots.

      Delete
    4. May the season's spirit of good will and peace on Earth descend on both you and Cro before the new year's frost bites.

      Merry Christmas,
      Ursula

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I can't remember who put me in touch with the claims management company. I thought it was the insurance company themselves.

      Delete
    2. I am worried because Ursula agrees with me.

      Delete
    3. The accident claim line was given to me by my broker. They seem not to have informed the insurer. This wasn't a cold call.

      Delete
    4. The accident help line is part of the breakdown service which I paid for and I had the insurance with the same breakdown cover broker. It is all kosher.

      Delete
    5. If you informed your broker, the one who fixed your insurance for you in the first place, then you have done all you need to do.

      Delete
    6. See below. Someone has scrunched the courtesy car...

      Delete
    7. Oh no. I am very sorry about this happening to you x

      Delete
  3. My claims have been few, but I did have one go south--a window broken by an ice cycle. After a good deal of stupid dithering and delay, I called my broker and reminded him my insurance had been in his hands for about forty years, and fix it, please. He did. I'd just hound the broker until a satisfactory answer/solution appears. And, PS, U is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My situation is very simple, just so long as I refuse any deals between underwriters thatI do not agree to.

      However, the situation has just become a little more complicated. Someone has crashed into the back of my hire car when it was parked and I was not in it, causing about £800 worth of damage and not leaving details which would make it all easier. They snuck off, like the cunts they obviously are.

      I am so utterly pissed-off by these events right now that I cannot bear to talk about them any more tonight.

      The stars seem to be badly aligned for me at the moment.

      Delete
    2. But, I am alive and uninjured!

      Delete
  4. I don't understand your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truck driver advised me not to sign a credit card mandate. Clear?

      Delete
    2. Ah...I see....the courtesy car delivery driver.....I thought you were referring to the truck driver who crashed into you.....and of course it was very kind of the courtesy car delivery driver to advise you that way....there are still kind people in the world.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I see. Yes, he even described himself as a kind man.

      Delete
  5. I would contact your broker and tell them about this letter. Just in case. They should sort it same as they have got you someone to chase the person at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, boy! If it's not one thing, it's another. The world seems to be getting more and more complicated and, in some cases, dumber. Ahh, there is no way, but through it. Best of luck with all this muddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People don't speak to each other in offices any more because they don't want to be accused of rape; or worse.

    ReplyDelete