Saturday 18 November 2017

Incognito


I have been trying to get photos off my phone and onto the computer for about 6 months now, and I have only just worked out that the USB cable I have been trying to use is faulty. You cannot tell from the outside and I bet you cannot tell from the inside either. I tried a different cable this morning and it worked. This is how I can show you this selfie.

Crap cameras always produce interesting pictures (like the above). I used to use a 1930s 35mm camera, just for the weird things it did to the photos. There was a pinhole in the cloth bellows of it which let in light, producing some interesting flares and patterns on the developed film. The scope for double exposure was also high, though I rarely did it deliberately. The lens was quirky too.

These days, everyone's equipment produces spectacularly professional results. A modern smartphone will make video of broadcast quality, and kids make broadcast quality music on a laptop in their bedroom. Well, some do anyway.

I just looked out of the window to see a girl speaking into the bottom edge of her phone, as if it had an oyster on it which she was going to slide into her mouth.

Oh yes, that photo. I was trying to go unnoticed in the pub.

33 comments:

  1. re your last sentence. Lady M is always telling me to 'keep my voice down' when making comments about people. I reassure her that when speaking in an ordinary voice; no-one hears you. But if you whisper; everyone does! Trying to go unnoticed in that outfit is much the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear Hi-Viz when I go out burgling. Same principle.

      Delete
  2. If that outfit goes unnoticed at your pub, I definitely want to hang out at your pub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha for the coat and ha for the oyster girl. My neighbor talks to her phone constantly, and it obeys. A mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am completely serious when I say that I like this photo a lot. Stare at it, let your eyes go a little bit blurry and it turns into a piece of pop art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is your pub located near the Arctic Circle? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. You couldn't go unnoticed if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best thing is not to try too hard. I once sat in a friend's armchair trying to be invisible, and it worked.

      Delete
  7. Nanook of the North ..... do they serve walrus in a basket at The Bell ?!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look like me walking the promenade but with less wrinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My phone speaks to my computer without the need for a cable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would go unnoticed here, it is just our winter look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know. I have been there in February and looked much the same.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It's just a hood with shoulders, belonging to one of the girls who works at the pub. It is fake fur.

      Delete