Thursday, 20 July 2017

Kilve


The Germans wanted a new stretch of coastline to visit, so I just sent them off to the North Somerset one. Minehead, Dunster, Kilve and The Quantocks. They will like it a lot, and it is quite close to Bath.

Kilve is particularly English, with a garden cafe selling Cream Teas in the shadow of a ruined medieval abbey, a much used village cricket pitch toward the end of a rough lane leading to the beach, and the beach itself with huge, round pebbles which make sunbathing next to impossible. Oh, and there is an old lime-kiln just before the beach.

Running through the pebbles toward the sea, a fast stream courses down from the Quantocks to merge with the salt water. I once needed some large, round pebbles for work, so I went to Kilve to steal some. They have plenty, so they would not have been missed.

I took a rucksack to carry them the quarter of a mile back to the car and selected about six for the job. I had to put the rucksack on a low bank, then back up to it to get the straps over my shoulders. Lifting the weight straight up would have been impossible.

All went well until I reached the stream which had to be crossed in small hops, dry bit to dry bit. I fell over and was unable to get up because of the rucksack full of stones. I lay there in the mud waiting for help from a passing stranger.

I have suffered for my Art...

18 comments:

  1. I'm reading this,waiting in the hairdressers to have a trim .... I'm afraid that I laughed out loud !!!! The mental picture is funny !!! I thought you were going to say that someone found you and thought you were trying to drown yourself !!!
    Sound's like a beautiful piece of coastline ..... your friend's will enjoy it. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you having trimmed????????!!!!!!! XXXXXXX

      Delete
    2. My ends !!!!!!!!! Haha !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  2. I suppose we would all prefer sandy beaches, but I do like pebbles too; as in Brighton, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Exactly. I thought of you when I wrote that.

      Delete
  4. This is hysterical.
    You know I have a fondness for small stones. So that when I am dead and archaeologists look in my garden, they will wonder what event brought together such an ill assorted collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I helped your ill assortment with one pebble, no?

      Delete
  5. I don't suppose you were wearing shorts but you would have looked funny in shorts laying there in the mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would look funny in shorts standing up on the beach too. I NEVER wear shorts. If you knew my legs as well as I do you would understand.

      Delete
  6. Kilve sounds foreign, the word I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike the German pronunciation, the 'e' is silent.

      Delete
    2. ... unless you are talking about the nearby Kilver Court...

      Delete