Friday 2 January 2015

Painting reference


Neville, above - one of H.I.'s loyal, mature students - died last Sunday, as his wife called us up to say today.

Years ago, when Bath's legendary Sydney Place Art School was just about to be sold off as private housing, H.I. and many of her equally old and loyal Painting students got together for a tea-break on the final night in the premises.

They sat around the table with the tea and biscuits, then Flora - then aged well over 80 and now long gone - started to laugh. Someone asked her what was amusing her.

"This is 'The Last Cuppa'."

6 comments:

  1. 'The Last Cuppa. ' Wonderful, I love that. So sorry to hear of the death of H.I.'s student. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very sad Moll - I think he had the best care which kept him going for as long as possible.

      Delete
  2. A4 sketch pad in hand, and leaning on a gravestone; you couldn't have found a more appropriate photo. RIP; off to that perfect studio in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sort of went through my mind when I took the photo at the last Summer School. I liked the angle of the gravestone too.

      Delete