Tuesday 19 June 2012

On the shelf


Who - or what - do you think this packaging was aimed at?  I suppose it makes an unpleasant change from the usual pictures of Italian houses perched on the sides of Tuscan hills.  Maybe it relates to a TV commercial I haven't seen, but even so....  It might be a good way of getting your children to eat broccoli without having to call it 'trees', though.



Seen (but resisted) in a charity shop.  I almost bought it as a present for John, but I'm sure his house is full of them.  Do you think that the inverted commas are to encourage you to do a Darth Vader impersonation by holding it to your mouth and coarsely saying the word "Prestatyn" into the neck whilst breathing heavily?

13 comments:

  1. Even though that can reads "meatballs", I would find it hard to stomach coming from a green can.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the green that I find the most off-putting, Mark.

      Delete
  2. I have a feeling that that jug is a collectors piece...
    thanks for the chuckle this morning
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had the 'graphic designer' offered that can for his Dip' show, I think he would have failed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'But does it pour?' was the usual response to questionable jugs in Farnham. Hmm... questionable jugs... now you're talking.

      Delete
  4. My kids would be bugging me to buy the meatballs, for sure! And, seriously, who else would want meatballs in a can?
    *off to google prestatyn*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a PLACE! And here I imagined it was some sort of medicine or a weird sexual entendre.

      Delete
  5. cathy
    I grew up in Prestatyn
    we even have a famous poem written about us entitled SUNNY PRESTATYN by Philip Larkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so it's a sexual entendre as well? Anything to do with the head start that your parents give you in life?

      Delete
  6. Nice shape though, that jug Tom. Probably you could say the same about John now that he has lost his excess weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does a good Darth Vader impression as well.

      Delete
  7. I love that jug and would probably have bought it. Most charity shops round here are reduced to real trash as sadly people need to sell not donate these days.

    And as for those Meat(EYE)Balls! Fray Bentos conned by the ad agency methinks. Almost as bad as the short-lived Birds Eye Cod Pieces.
    Well you gotta laff...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain Bird's-Eye's cod-piece! There is a chippy near here called, 'Oh My Cod' - seriously.

    ReplyDelete