Tuesday 24 January 2012

The Kraken Awakes...

... or The Krabben Returns, more like. This is the little cafe today on the shores of the North Sea in Germany...

... where we ate the little brown shrimps (krabben) what seems like only yesterday. Strange times indeed.

Some days, during the summer, life appears to be as depicted in those 'Shell Oil' posters from the 50s, and other times it looks like the cover of 'Olde Moore's Almanack', what with sinking cruise liners, people being struck by lightening whilst stealing high-voltage cables, and cars falling into the abyss due to lack of road maintenance.


9 comments:

  1. Those little brown shrimp look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry but that photo makes me feel quite quite ill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? Either way, it's still sea-sickness.

      Delete
  3. Stop me if I have already told you this, but a local man has made a fortune by developing a speedy way of de-shelling these little critters - using compressed air. Now that's the sort of idea I am looking for to retire on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry but that does not look appetising...overkill on the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One just isn't enough, Mary Ann. Having said that, I could only manage about one slice and had to take the rest home in a doggy bag.

      Delete
  5. I really love those little brown shrimps, but usually eat them whole. What do they call Crabs? Shrimpen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Cro, I forgot to ask, and my translator has been disconnected (due to abuse).

      Delete