Friday 2 December 2011

I remember you 2

I've been plunged into a somewhat sombre mood this morning, with the news of the death of John's brother, Andrew.

Ok, his death - sooner rather than later - was expected, and his family's fight for funds to help find a cure for the condition which caused it would never have been timely enough to affect this particular outcome, but it is almost crass to say that it doesn't make it any the less devastating for his family. Sometimes the sheer inevitability makes events like this even sadder.

We all know that - statistically - our parents will probably die earlier than us, but when they do die, and someone asks how old they were, if you say "84" (as I did when a colleague asked about my father) and they say, "Oh, well he had a long life then - stop making a fuss" (as this colleague actually did say - not even imply, and I was merely answering his question!), I wonder if they know how offensive and inappropriate that is. Equally, I find any suggestion that a death is 'a blessed relief' for anyone - nomatter what the circumstances - just as offensive, even if it is said in complete ignorance.

Shortly after my father died, my sister telephoned me in a blind panic. I asked what the matter was, and she said to me that no matter how hard she tried, she could not remember what our parents looked like without looking at photos, even though one of them had only been dead for a week or two. I could hear the panic in her voice.

I told her not to worry, as this was a well documented reaction to the death of a loved one, and that crystal clear recollection of the faces of those who could not be forgotten would return in a month or so, without resorting to family photos. Of course, they did.

Funnily enough, last night my father visited me in a dream. He had bought a nasty, Chinese jade brooch of an elephant for H.I. and had pinned it onto her dress, accidentally pinning it through her skin at the same time. H.I. did not want to seem ungrateful, but whispered to me what he had done through gritted teeth, begging me to unpin it as quickly as possible.

I can see him sitting quietly there now, unaware of his geriatric mistake and beaming with satisfaction at his gift, and how clever he was to choose it for her.

13 comments:

  1. Ah...I know. A death is a death no matter if it was expected or not. The sadness and grief is the same, isn't it? People are just awkward.

    Poor John and his family... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was a bit of a shock to hear the sad news this morning. Even through illness it's difficult sometimes to believe in our own or loved ones mortality until it actually happens. He seemed like a great guy.

    I had a dream about you last night Tom. Yes, I know! I left my power drill kit and charger in your isolated blockwork stone workshop and I married your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree Tom. When our Dad died at the age of 91, many people came out with that well-used phrase ' well, he had a good innings, didn't he ?'. If he had lived to 110 we would all have been just as sad.
    Thinking of John and his family at such a sad time and hope that the memories of all of the happy times spent with Andrew can help them through the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you would marry my daughter, Chris. I'll even buy you a new drill and charger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also nutt up at the phrase "time will heal all wounds" when someone dies. I have found that not to be true for me. The loss of my brother to a drunk driver in 1998 is still as acute and real as it was then. Sometimes I also catch myself picking up the phone to call my Dad (he died in 2006) and then realize he is gone and I am freshly stricken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then there's the phrase "he's in a better place" when actually a better place would have been to have had a longer healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Tom. I too have been so saddened by the death of John's brother - somehow blogger friends seem almost like family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People just don't know what to say to someone who has experienced a loss. There really is nothing you can say that is going to help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom - I think we're all having similar thoughts. The dream you had of your father touched me - I could imagine it actually happening, bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makita? You'll have a B & Q special offer Bosch and lump it, otherwise no deal. She's 40 years old, for fuck's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't touch the children dying before parents conversation as I've watched the light go from my brother's eyes after his young son was killed in a drink drive accident. Bad enough. But then it was revealed that the driver (his pal) moved his body to the driver's seat in an attempt to absolve himself for the blame. But as for parents who've lived a long and happy life managing to leave before descending into a pain wracked and memory lost existence, well then I would rather 'have had a good innings'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll throw in a set of tungsten tips as well.

    ReplyDelete