Thursday 3 November 2011

WHY? (repeat as necessary)


Weaver has written a little piece on a childhood memory, and it made me recall some of my earliest memories as a child - it is funny how some things stick in your mind, even though they are not earth-shattering events.

Though it is not the very earliest memory I have of childhood, one of these events has stayed with me and can be recalled with absolute clarity, about 57 years later.

Close to where I was brought up to the age of about 4, there was a small yard attached to an adjacent property, and since I was old enough to be allowed to walk out of our house (but not old enough to cross the road, the other side of which seemed like a foreign country to me), I guess I was between 3 and 4 years old.

I remember watching a Catholic priest (as I now recognise him to have been due to the ankle-length, black outfit with collar) walking across the yard carrying a metal pail which was full of water. These were the far-off days when English priests still lugged buckets of water around, obviously. I noticed that as he walked, his free arm was outstretched to an angle of about 45%. As he approached, I asked him why he was walking with his arm out like that - I had no experience of carrying a full pail of water at that time, you understand.

He paused briefly, gave it a little thought, then said "I don't know", then walked on with his free arm uncomfortably and self-consciously down by his side.

This was probably the first of many questions about life that I have asked priests and received no satisfactory answer. It was probably the moment when I worked out that the most qualified and sophisticated theologian can be wrong-footed by a simple child as well.

10 comments:

  1. Took me a while to realize they weren't omnipotent Tom.
    I wonder sometimes about those really early memories. Can they truly remain accurate having been played over and over again in our memory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of them (truths, I mean) can. Probably the more mundane ones, like the above, I reckon. I have a friend who has no childhood memories at all - they were erased by an horrific accident when he was about 3 - his hand was burned off by an electric heater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bloody hell... we both have written about memories relating to men of the cloth.... spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My earliest memory is when I was about 3 and I sat in a clump of stinging nettles minus my knickers.
    .....and, to answer your question of the last post ( which I did but you might not have seen it) .....about 1,000 Drachmas. I think that my Dad told me that one when I was sitting in the stinging nettles !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure he didn't have his hand in his pocket?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soon after he left the RC church after some spotty little kid had caused him to question his faith, only to return later in life as Father Jack Hackett.

    Jacqueline - are you sure that wasn't one of your most recent memories hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have we John? I'll go and have a look. I bet you got about 40 comments more than I did for this one, though.

    Yes, I heard you the first time, Jacqueline. Perhaps you could reenact your childhood trauma, then show us the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I prompted you to remember that Tom. Isn't it strange that some things stick in your memory and you completely forget others.

    ReplyDelete