Tuesday 15 November 2011

I'm too English for my pants

You just cannot get any more English than the picture of tonight's dinner for me and H.I. There are two traditional pies there - both hand-made by my good friend, the pie-maker of Walcot today - and they are partially illuminated by the light of an English beeswax candle, set in an English, brass candlestick dating from around 1580, all set on an English, country pine table from around 1850.

Down to business: The pies will cost you about £5 each from 'Made By Benz' sandwich shop in Walcot Street, Bath.

The candlestick will cost you about £1,500 from me - but only if you ask me nicely. I'll throw in the candle for free.

14 comments:

  1. all you now need is Brian Blessed , dressed in an antique frock coat complete with a two pronged fork

    (I won't comment on the f*cking candlestick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh,{slobber}.
    And pray what kind of pies please Sir ?
    Pork and maybe steak and kiddly ?
    I will take two of each, and the beeswax candle for free, money is in the post..
    A gorgeous table and candlestick, do you barter ?
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much is the pine table ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that pie-shop.

    Isn't there a barbers above it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo. But what's actually in the pies? That staging of the pies by candlelight gives rise to spine-chilling thoughts of Sweeney Todd and Mrs Lovett's handiwork. Ooo-er.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can do a bloody good impersonation of Brian Blessed - I actually had someone stop once to check it was not he. Can't do the 45 teeth though. Can't even do the 28.

    One mutton, one chicken, though he does a good gammon as well.

    Yes, Tennessee Brit - every man has his price (including John, though it is quoted in pink pounds.

    Pine table, NFS - right now.

    No barbers - who needs a haircut when there are Halal butchers around?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and he does steak and kiddley too - THAT'S WHAT SAID DIDDLE I???

    ReplyDelete
  8. A step back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ever since Harry Potter, I've never looked forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you a member of The Bath Camera Club? First prize in the annual 'Atmospheric Food' category.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HP is now made in Holland, Tennesee Brit - Sacrilige! (or however you spell it).

    Yes, Lovely - they really sum up Victorian don't they?

    Thank you for my award, Cro.

    ReplyDelete