Saturday 29 October 2011

Dead-Eye Dicks

There is a story that Olivier sold his soul in order to become a great actor. I sort of believe it, but not in a medieval way. I think that he emptied his own personality so exhaustively in order to take on other's persona that he lost it completely, and was never able to find it again. His family also said something like that, and I sort of believe them too. Who am I not to?

You can see it in his eyes. He had dead eyes.

Poor old Kenneth Brannagh was prematurely tipped to be L.O.'s successor, but his eyes are too avuncular for that - he just looks like a kindly actor, and nobody takes him seriously, especially after he took the piss out of himself in the Harry Potter film... unlike Fiennes...

Ralph Fiennes has similar eyes, and is taking on the persona - or lack of it - of Olivier, but maybe that is my imagination.

Happy Halloween.


8 comments:

  1. Tom, perhaps I'm wrong but I think I know what you're saying. For all his fame, money and everything else, he lost who he was. I believe in you and for all the occasional rants and some of the bollocks you sometimes write, you come across to me as truth and I like that about you. Don't ever change who you are, money can't buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this very insightful. Not being overly enamored by any actor, I may approach this topic with more objectivity than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if I have managed to get you to say the word 'bollocks' in public, Moll, then my work is almost done.

    You're not alone, Jim - Alfred Hitchcock hated actors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Brannagh was married to Emma Thompson for a while; enough to emasculate any aspiring Olivier.

    Molly just misspelled 'Bullocks'; she's a farmer for heaven's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm truly shocked Molly! TS has managed to corrupt the incorruptible.

    Judging by the photo on the right, Mr Fiennes also seems to have developed an out of control coke habit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you blogging about mr Olivier before.. I am not and never have been a fan of his... as for the title of "best British actor" given to him by some.. all I can do is blow a raspberry...

    I never liked Brannagh either!

    give me the likes of Edward Norton, Christian Bale, Tom Wilkinson, and Mathew McFaddern anyday

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are loads of technically better actors, but most of them do not have that magic little edge which puts leagues between them and the likes of RSC heavyweights. That's what this post is all about, actually.

    ReplyDelete