Tuesday 13 September 2011

Diary of a Ghostwriter


There was a darkness about that house that the sunniest childhood day could not dispel, and I still find myself feeling my way through it in troubled sleep, all these years later.

That's the thing about the wrong things that are done to children - either by humans or buildings - it can take years for the child to understand that certain situations are not necessarily part of everyone else's upbringing, and the effort to understand how they came about can result in the repetition of them, or at least the revisiting of them - either in dreams or brick-built reality.

Don't get me wrong though, my parents did their absolute best to make sure that they provided me with the best childhood they could manage. It was the house which I came to distrust.

There was something deeply troubling about that house - maybe it was the shot Italian gardener? - and I really don't think that I will be rid of it. The other day, I realised that I had not dreamed of it for several months, and started to believe that it was finally out of my system. That same night, I found myself again wandering down the dark corridor which links the east wing to the west - the corridor which leads to nowhere because it was bricked off at the end when the builder installed his estranged wife in the west rooms. Maybe because she could not bear to look at him any more after his little rabbit-hunt. Maybe he could not bear to be looked at either. As a child, I often heard footsteps going down that corridor when I knew there was nobody in the house but me.

The house, being indiscriminately malevolent, also played it's mindless tricks on everyone else to found themselves trapped in it, but I, being a child and - like all children - thinking the whole world revolved around me, was only dimly aware that all was not right with the rest of my family - or at least, I was only dimly aware of the reasons why all was not right. The whole thing just was not logical, and it took me about 40 years to realise that, and stop looking for logic.

Being the youngest child by ten years, I soon found myself alone in the huge place with only my parents; my brother and sisters having moved out to start their adult lives. That's when the real trouble started.

I knew (or guessed) that things were - temporarily, thank goodness - not right between my parents, but it did not occur to me that it was all my fault until one afternoon during the school holidays when my father was at work and I was alone with my mother in the kitchen.

She had been unusually quiet as I ate breakfast, and then she quite unexpectedly went into the cloakroom and put on the old, green coat and hat she had worn for many years. I wondered where we were going, but she soon put me right about that. I was not going anywhere. She was.

I started to panic, and begged her not to go. She began screaming at me, telling me that I was an ungrateful little boy; that I never did anything to help her; that she was sick of looking after me; that she had sacrificed her life for me; etc. etc. All the while, I was begging her not to leave, with tears streaming down my panic-stricken face.

Something must have got through to her from my hysterical pleading, because she stopped shouting and just stood there, staring at me for about a minute, until she finally made me promise - several times - that I would behave myself in future.

Although I had no real idea of how I had misbehaved in the past so badly as to cause this situation, I would have promised anything at that moment - I would have sworn my soul to Satan, and possibly did.

Only when she began to remove the green coat and hat could I be sure that she was not going to run out of my life altogether, and when she did, I didn't so much relax as get my breath back.

In fact, it took me many years to relax, only managing it when I teamed up with H.I., about 50 years later. Whenever I lived with a girlfriend (and I lived with quite a few), they never understood why I kept a packed suitcase right next to the front door. If anyone was going to run off, it was damn well going to be me.

You have to be very careful what you say to children - very mindful of what your words can do.




12 comments:

  1. Some childhood memories rule our lives. Many of us hold a deep, dark secret that haunt us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The screaming rows my parents would have invariably ended up with them demanding us kids to 'pick which parent we wanted to live with' and then my mother taking her suitcase and marching off down the road alone (because, of course, stupefied we couldn't answer). Then dad would jump in the car, chase her down and bring her home.
    To this day, it takes doesn't take much to recreate that sense of panic in my chest.
    Take care of your tender heart Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tom,
    As parents, we just don't always realise how we affect our children through our words and actions.....not that your mum could help it, she was obviously unhappy at the time.
    How lovely to have met H.I. who has helped you come to terms with it.
    I am in total admiration for the way that you have told us all about it.....it is very good to share these things as, as soon as you do, you realise that everyone has a similar story to tell which really helps, I think.
    Ooooo, serious stuff, I feel a virtual group blog hug coming on !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this sort of early emotional 'scarring' stuff stays with us to the grave.

    'Character forming', is what older generations used to call it.

    All kids are ungrateful, mercenary little bastards at some point or other, Tom (me especially). I can't imagine what you may have done. (You didn't shoot the gardener as well did you?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good. It is like a mixture of childhood memories and the beginning of a book by Ruth Rendell where you can't take your eyes of the page for the unveiling of the underlying psychological currents in our lives.

    I'm very curious about the house itself, as well. Is this a true shot of it? Do you have any pictures of the inside? What is its history? To me, houses are as interesting as people (sometomes more so) although this one may not have been a very pleasant "character". I would love to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always enjoyed your comments on Going Gently and wanted to sneak over here for a look. Took J's post from today to finally get me to do it, and it's everything I hoped for, Tom. Great writing, great subject matter, great insights. I'll be back.
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes - it's happened to more of us than we might imagine, and in one way it is meaningless, compared to the experience of others.

    We are articulate, but I wonder about others who are not at all. I still cannot tell this story to anyone face to face.

    Yep, that is an accurate picture of the house, Iris. It was built in 1907 by the winner of an Irish Sweepstake - another story about how sudden wealth can damage people.

    Hello Dia - it's not always as dark as this - tomorrow, sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark? Tom, I write about dying. Trust me, I prefer my dark out in the open where I can see it. This was great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to look at your blog, Curious. It's true - the best ghosts walk in broad daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend's father SHOUTED at me when I was about 6. I can still hear him today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. (And I should have added !!! lol ha ha )

    ReplyDelete