Friday 12 August 2011

The things people throw away


I have just returned from walking down the riverside at 8.30 this morning, and on the way, I saw this object dumped beside the bridge, right on the towpath.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be a barbecue unit in a retro style, the like of which I have never seen before. It has vented cabinets on the back, presumably to store the food when not cooking, and looks as if it also doubles up as a fridge, but I find that hard to believe. It looks Australian to me - they have elevated the BBQ to heights only ever before achieved by NASA, at the same time as keeping an all-important eye on suburbian, domestic fashion trends.

I am guessing that it has been jettisoned by a boat-owner on holiday, but I am sure someone will pick it up, lovingly restore it and give it a good home soon. I would, if I had the space.

The reason I was walking up the river is because I had just dropped off my car at the mechanic because it had started to misfire under certain circumstances, and I don't want it to pack up on the way to the airport at about 5 in the morning next week. It's a long story, but we have to go back to Germany again, but this is good news for you. You will shortly be getting another little holiday from my rants here in blogtopia, but don't worry - you have the whole weekend to look forward to, and I'll be back in no time anyway!

UPDATE: I've just looked up 'Memphis' Barbecues, and this is what I found (new photo above). They cost £150 from John Lewis, and you can still buy them - I want one!

19 comments:

  1. Are you absolutely certain it hasn't landed from outer space - it looks a bit Martian to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pink. Maybe Barbie had a barby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. I hope someone gives it a good home before it jumps into the river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! AJ! Wish I had thought of that one. Actually, I've just walked down the river again to pick up my fixed car, and had a closer look. It looks like the Cadillac of barbies - it has the word 'MEMPHIS' in 50's automotive lettering on the front (the photo is the back) so I guess it is American.

    It is also chained to the railing, so it must be a semi-permanent fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A suffragette barbie chained to the railing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom,
    I think that there is to be a barbeque down by the river while you are away in Germany and you are going to miss the event of the year.
    Foo Fighters are playing ! Within a few days it will have BUM SEX painted on it ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cute! It reminds me of that robot in Wall-e. m.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a result of that supra-sonic aircraft that crashed over the Pacific last night. They are taking over the world now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am relieved to find out where your second photo came from. I thought there had been some serious mating going on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There could be, Weaver baby - send me your address.... (you have to imagine a cross between Terry Thomas and George Clooney now)

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic blog !

    kisses,
    Klaudia B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dziękujemy Klaudia. Pocałunki też.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would look fantastic in your Airstream...

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS

    Does that translate to;

    'I really like your seductive pics, Klaudia. Would you like my number?'

    You rogue...

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a bloke down the road here who owns an Airstream. The only reason he can afford it is because he was the one to organise the lighting for all the Pink Floyd concerts...

    Oh, so you looked up young Klaudia too, eh Chris? I cannot help thinking that she must be employed by the Krakow tourist information centre.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, compact yet adorable Germany exerts its pull over you again. Those colourful barbecues are emblematic of Hope for Humanity.

    ReplyDelete