Tuesday 17 May 2011

Something for everyone

And whilst we are on the subject of 19th century prints... I took this bad photo (with a phone - sorry) of the theatrical poster which is on the wall of the restaurant that H.I. and I spent my birthday evening in, having a crap meal.

It seems an unworthy thought now, but I found myself thinking that the event this Victorian poster advertises would have been a hell of a night out. Blow up the picture and read some of the attractions on offer - An Artificial Limb Factory, A Jolly Young Waterman (for John), the Exterior of a Debtor's Prison (for me), Baths and Wash-houses for the Labouring classes (for you), Fancy Leather-dressers, etc. etc.

The only bit that did not particularly attract me was the mock-up of 'A Stone Quarry'. I wonder why?

4 comments:

  1. now this sort of thing I find interesting!!!

    I love old posters and prints.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops - I bought another candle stick last night John. I'll show you when it arrives. Can you wait?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather stick needles into my eys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't do that. It's good, but it's not THAT good. Actually it dates from around the same time as this poster, and you're going to LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete