Monday 21 March 2011

It seems I can be charming


For some reason, I have been remembering an amusing incident which happened to me many years ago, when I was about 28 years old.

You will have to remember, when hearing this, that I was (and still am) six foot three inches in height, had shortish, very dark hair (but don't now) and a fairly deep voice (still do - at the moment...).

I went around to a friend's house and he let me in for a cup of tea and a chat as he usually did. His father - a retired, Welsh undertaker - was sitting at the table, and I was introduced to him by name as we had never met before, though I had heard a lot about him. My friend had - in the past - expressed some concern when his father had unscrewed a coffin lid at his workplace to show him the corpse of a particularly beautiful young woman, but that maybe off the point for this story. Then again, maybe it isn't.

My friend went off to make some tea and toast, leaving me chatting to his father, and we talked of this and that, including what I did for a living, etc. etc. For about three-quarters of an hour, we all talked, then I stood up to leave, shaking the father's hand. He said he was very pleased to meet me and I let myself out.

A few days later, I bumped into my friend and as soon as he caught sight of me, began laughing uncontrollably. Eventually, he told me that after I had left the house, his father had said to him, "What a lovely woman that was."

The photo above is NOT me, by the way.

10 comments:

  1. Maybe in his spare time he amused himself by dressing his male corpses as women! There are worse hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been the open toed pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive always thought you were a bit of an big girl's blouse!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it the way you walk? You know walk like a woman, talk like a man, Lola...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So who is the girl in the photo? And why is she wearing three wrist watches?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you must be very good looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now have an entirely different picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were you a Duran Duran fan ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well - I didn't expect this sort of reaction. Please send current photos, and I will tell you if, when, where and how I will deal with you in a car park of my choice.

    (flounces off with a satisfied smirk on his face,,,)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like he inhaled a few too many embalming fluid fumes! ;-)

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete