Friday 24 November 2017

Once it's gone, it's gone.

The two young masons who have been landed on me to carve the two large panels I designed are beginning to get down to details, where their true ability will become apparent. One is bordering on acceptable for a first effort, and the other has come close to destroying his piece. He has changed it beyond redemption now, but so subtly that I don't know if he knows what he has done. It is very nerve-wracking.

This should not have been their first effort - each one represents about £10,000 when finished, but it sort of got out of my hands. Like I say, they were forced on me. The title of this post relates to the removal of material in carving. I wish I could show you photos.

Even though the choice of carvers was out of my control, what they do is supposed to be under my control. How the hell did I let this situation come about?

I now have to visit every day to make sure they don't fuck-up completely. I am looking forward to the weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Can't you partly take over? Sounds like it could end in disaster. I presume the two panels are 'a pair', so they need to be much the same; n'est pas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stared by partly taking over. Yes, they are two of a quartet so they need to be much the same.

      Delete
  2. I was watching stonemasons carving outside Southwark cathedral a few weeks ago. I did wonder then how on earth anyone manages to deal with mistakes. Now I understand that it must be one of the big downsides of the job, and not something you'll ever get used to. Good luck with sorting out the young bodger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have the apprentices evaluate their own work at the end of each day? Can you ask them to give themselves a grade, or a number from 1 - 10 to see if they are capable of honest self-evaluation, or if they are either delusional or too mealy-mouthed to admit that they don't know what they don't know, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Also they are not apprentices. They are incapable of self-evaluation.

      Delete
  4. You sound to me to be teetering on the brink Tom. Hope I am mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like fabric. You can't cut it bigger.
    Actually, thinking about it turns my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly used to dealing with thousands of pounds worth of potential disaster, but normally it s within my total control.

      Delete
  6. That's a horrible situation. I hope the deal includes some benefit to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it is a decent hourly rate for time spent. If it were my job it would be priced.

      Delete
  7. Your employment situation sounds very mysterious and stressful..hopefully well paid though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not employed, but that in itself is stressful. All will be well, otherwise two young men will die horrible deaths...

      Delete
  8. I hope - and believe - you will save it, Tom! Reminds me of all those who tell you (and me) "to be able to delegate" and trust people that they will do the best they can - yeah, but that's it: the best they can is not always the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more of a depressing situation than a dangerous one. I am sure it will all be ok in the long term.

      Delete
  9. Used to fuck ups. Here if you need me. xx

    ReplyDelete