Saturday 23 September 2017

A rare child


A little more action in this holiday video.

I bought and refurbished an old wooden door to replace the ugly one on our bathroom - about 4 years ago. I fitted the antique door-knobs, fitted mouldings to the panels and  filled and primed it, then it spent two years in the workshop waiting to be hung.

I then brought it home and bought hinges and tools to hang it, and it has been leaning against the wall for another two years.

Today, a friend of mine is coming round to hang it for me. It is not that I cannot do it myself, it is just that I cannot be arsed. He is the catalyst for action, and I am paying him to do what I should have done ages ago. I am not proud of it.

It being a weekend, he is bringing his daughter round with him, so I have to buy cake. She likes cake.

She is half German and very cute - also very tall for her age. Not only that, but she seems to be extremely bright as well.

He sometimes brings her into the pub before she goes to piano lessons. She usually reads books while she waits. She is an avid reader. I once asked her if she has a mobile phone, and she said that all her friends do, but she does not.

"I don't see the point in them at my age," was her reasoning.

I don't think I have ever met a kid with an attitude like that before.

15 comments:

  1. She sounds like a stuck up little swot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooo! She may just be a solitary person. But it's funny that she likes cake. That is so stereotypical German. If you don't have coffee and cake on a Sunday afternoon people might ask you what's wrong with you.

      Delete
    2. And if a child reads a book as opposed to playing a game on a phone here, an adult thinks there is something wrong with them.

      Delete
  2. I have a granddaughter like that. Her parents are constantly telling her how clever she is. She has no friends. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is perfectly happy and has friends and parents who don't tell her how intelligent she is.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting and often edifying to follow the intellectual growth of a child. Blue Eyes was fascinating, for example. As well may be this girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green not Blue, by the way. So many men seem to feel they have to say how boring babies are before they can talk.

      Delete
  4. I always think that my neighbour's son who is a darling is 7 going on thirty five - he is far too sensible for a seven year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sunny your video weather..lovely. Don't beat yourself up about not hanging the door..just let him do it and move on.
    How old is the daughter? Is he working or drinking in the pub? no little girl likes hanging around waiting for her dad in a pub...book or no......mind you at least she is in the pub and not outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't beat myself up enough, actually. 10. Drinking. She doesn't seem to mind.

      Delete
  6. I never knew coffee and cake in the afternoon was particularly a German habit, the fikapaus is otherwise something very Swedish. This sweet girl is nothing more dramatic than a bit socially akward, there is no harm in it, adults often enjoy having them around because they make no fuss, but they can have some troulble finding friends so they read a lot. Mine did too, both of them, It's different now, things change.
    I'm glad you got the door in place, nothing like a job well done, and equally glad you could have a cup with nice company. I say: Hold on to what you find lights your way and make you happy, little girl!!! Not to you, to her, off course. Nice video, Tom, but I can't get it moving......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is making snap assumptions that this girl is socially awkward. She isn't. You need to install VLC or some other media player to watch videos of some types.

      Delete
  7. You all seem to think that there is something wrong with this girl. There isn't. When she was smaller, she used to climb up on people in the pub, as I reminded her yesterday. That is not the sign of a socially awkward child.

    ReplyDelete