Friday 24 March 2017

Cat


Isn't it amazing how much is going on constantly elsewhere? Now that may sound like an idiotic thing to say, but sometimes I lie in bed imagining all that activity until I begin to overload myself.

Right now I am thinking of all those people stupified by boredom, waiting to be called in Bristol Crown Court. When my routine is interrupted is when I imagine other people's lives the most.

For instance, I am always amazed when - on the rare occasions I have to be on the streets before dawn - how many people are scurrying about in the dark out there, on their way to a distant job or something. I always expect to be the only person in the world who is not in bed, and I am slightly put out when I understand that I am not that special after all.

It doesn't stop there. There are whole tribes of people living in remote South American jungles who have never even seen anyone from the rest of the world, who are - at this moment - chatting to each other, unaware even of the existence of towns and cities, let alone me. Some of them have not even seen an aircraft fly overhead at 40,000 feet.

It doesn't stop there either. Somewhere in Egypt, there is an undiscovered tomb containing a long-dead person. At some point - possibly right now - a particle of dessicated material will drop from one part of the mummy and fall to the floor of the inner casket.

The world did not revolve around Schrodinger. Try telling the cat that it does not exist after you have closed the door.

This post fell apart a bit at the end, because I got a call regarding an insurance quote for my car and had to talk about all the details whilst trying to write this stuff.

14 comments:

  1. It is amazing, all over the world people can sit in their small or big houses and read what you wrote here an hour ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's almost scary. Let's hope they are all friendly.

      Delete
  2. You just wrote that last paragraph. It wasn't there when I first read this post, and now I have mentioned my insurance reminder coming. That seems weird to me but no doubt it won't to you.

    I often think about things like what are other people doing and I talk out loud about it too to P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll rephrase that. What sort of a car do you drive?

      Delete
    2. Oh, interesting. I have one that keeps on going. I wonder if it is older than yours?

      Delete
  3. A lost train of thought. Now you will lie in bed pursuing the infinity of lost trains of thought. I wonder if Schrodinger had a formula for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have too many other trains of thought to keep me awake.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I make the mistake of trying to figure out why a train of thought got me to where I've got and then end up in a muddle of a kind of train of thought crash -- and if I'm lucky and in bed, often the case, turn over and go back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel quite envious of those people in the South American jungles and because they don't know of anything else but their own little community, I bet they don't lie awake wondering about what other people elsewhere are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably lie awake wondering where the next monkey is coming from like the rest of us.

      Delete
  6. I once nearly bought an Egyptian mummified cat. I was amazed by how cheap it was until the dealer told me there are millions of them, and that he could get me 100 of them if I wanted. I didn't.

    ReplyDelete