Friday, 28 February 2014

Germaine Greer, we in Somerset have had enough of you already

I've been listening - or half listening - to Germaine effing Greer since the early 1970s, and now I wish she would just return to her recently acquired rain-forest in deep Australia and leave everyone else alone.

She has just finished a couple of tirades here in Bath (for the 'Literary Festival') and during this time she has used her recently acquired knowledge about all things globally worthy.

She has long since run out of any novel ideas about women and the anatomy specific to them, and she has nothing new to say about Aborigines or even the Native Americans who she adopted to such an extent that she - at a party in Cambridge - declared herself to be an honorary member of one specific North American tribe, without their knowledge or consent.

Now she is right here in Bath as I write, telling the already depressed and wet folk of the Somerset Levels that they are - to all intents and purposes - making a FUSS ABOUT NOTHING, and that they should just relax whilst a few feet of water invades their living spaces and farms, whilst she relaxes in complete dryness wherever she happens to be staying right now.

She actually said, "WE ARE USED TO REAL WATER IN AUSTRALIA.  WE DON'T GO, 'EEEW - A FOOT OF WATER HAS COME INTO OUR HOUSE!' WE JUST GET ON WITH IT".

She went on to say that we should all just leave the Somerset Levels alone to flood, as they have been doing since before we tried to 'EXPLOIT' them.

The Somerset Levels used to be - up until about 600 years ago - PERMANENTLY under water. Many people spent a lot of time and money DRAINING them, you silly cow, and the present authorities are undermining the work of generations by allowing them to turn back into unwanted bird-sanctuaries.

Germaine Greer - please go back back to your rain forest in Australia, and stop adding to the misery of people who you have never been interested in, and you only now express any disapproval of in order to sell your BORING BOOK.

Below (so it hopefully will not appear in the heading of this post) is an early, self-promotional picture of Ms Greer, before anyone started to listen to her.

I think this picture may have appeared in 'Spare Rib', but I may be wrong.  Whatever, she wanted it to be published then, so she can hardly object now.



25 comments:

  1. Oh dear
    That photo was a bit much for my gay sensibilities
    I too listened to any questions...........and thought of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I have edited the photo just for you, John. The things I do for your sensibilities...

      Delete
    2. Can't you put pants on her?

      Delete
    3. Listen, I have even toned down the language since I have cooled down a bit since first putting this post down - don't push it... Anyway, I couldn't any pants big enough in my photo archive.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. Oh - you're doing a bit of self-editing as well now.

      Delete
    6. I was asking about a black star?

      Delete
    7. I suppose I could have used one of those, but the general effect is pretty much the same.

      Delete
  2. And to think there could have been some dialogue about misplaced environmental experts. Put the quotes wherever you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a public phone-in after the repeat show this afternoon, and I really hope that someone from Somerset affected by the floods phones in to make the points I blurted out up top.

      The next thing you know, Germaine effing Greer will be 'advising' the Dutch to breach all the dykes and return the two-thrids of Holland back to the sea where it rightfully belongs.

      Delete
  3. Well said Sir. The woman is a tedious bore. Intelligent enough, but terribly misguided. Nothing a good slapping with her own wet knickers wouldn't solve. (if indeed she possesses any knickers, wet or dry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steady on - I wasn't trying to inspire a misogynistic incitement to violence with this post. Some of my best friends are Australian women. Anyway, where did you get the idea that she was 'intelligent'? As I understand it, intelligence involves a high level of understanding, not just the ability to spout high-decibel gobshite in public without any apparent sense of self-doubt.

      Delete
  4. I see I have lost an a follower with this post, and I looked to see if I could find out which one, but I think they were following anonymously. Maybe it was Germaine effing Greer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. - I know about the party in Cambridge because I had a girlfriend who was invited to it, and I know how boring her book is because she read a serialised version of it on the radio recently. The best bit was when she found an anaconda in the bedroom of her hut. I wonder if she adopted the same pose as the photo when she saw it there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you get going Tom you really hit the spot (in more ways than one). I do agree with what you say though. If they can't think of anything helpful and constructive to say then folk should shut up - and that applies to any subject let alone the levels, where folk are still suffering and the media have passed on to other things - as they always do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I play the cunt game? (It seems appropriate). Send the cunt back to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, though I have vowed never to use that particular description toward a woman, no matter how apt...

      Delete
  8. Yes, that's a famous picture. I think her idea was that showing her anus and twat in the same shot would make it impossible to publish in a mainstream organ (if you'll forgive the expression).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wrong she was - as with most other ideas. I used to hang around with the Bath Feminists in the 70s, and they were always exposing themselves - to each other, not me.

      Delete
  9. Maybe we could some how sell the water to Australia?

    Don't you just love it when people from other countries tell us what to do. I never understand people who immigrate here and then say how much they hate it.

    p.s. her voice gets on my nerves. its like she is pinching her nose when she speaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not thinking of Dame Edna are you? Barry Humphries also gets up my nose, speaking of it being pinched.

      For years, any Aussie you talked to hated the whole Dame Edna thing over here, now they have named streets after the pretentious old queen in Melbourne.

      The less influence us Brits have on international affairs, the more right we have to complain about impotent others who seek to attain it, in my everso humble opinion. Then again, we dealt it out for about 200 years, and now it's our turn to get it in the neck from other ill-informed idiots with a different agenda.

      Delete
  10. Just catching up here. Much vitriol inspired by her. I wish I could leap to her defense but her recent Antipodean foray into the world of nature conservation every bloody morning on R4 made me want to crush the radio. Sorry Germaine. Can't believe you lost a follower over this. Surely they must be used to you by now?

    Great following nightmare post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say this (no I don't) but she has always been deeply silly, and people generally don't improve with age.

      Delete