Monday 19 February 2018

We are all drug addicts

At last. I can now give you the definitive reason why we all write blogs.

A neuroscientist told us today (without going into the biology) that when we share information or opinions with others, it releases dopamine into our system and makes us feel good. There have been surveys done in which people were actually willing to pay money to share their opinions or preferences over, say, tea and coffee.

The theory behind this is that we are rewarded with a little dopamine hit to encourage us to share information or advice on best practice in order to further the human race. That's where the biological bit comes in.

So when we say we are 'addicted' to blogging, we are not exaggerating. Apparently Twitter is the ideal format which gives us the most hits in the shortest possible time, which explains why Donald Trump is so keen on sharing his opinions about 20 times a day, 7 days a week.

And I thought that I was altruistically giving you all the benefit of my opinions and wisdom. Now I feel unclean.

27 comments:

  1. Having written the above, I am on a high which will last all day, and the best thing about it is that it is free legal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know how there is so much money to be made from Facebook.

      Delete
  2. I knew there was a very good reason why I don't 'tweet'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bugger reads my blog, however I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I knock out the odd ‘pearl of wisdom!’ I now know the reason why, thanks Tom.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried to read it, but it's impossible. I think you may need to fix it.

      Delete
    2. Where am I going wrong? I did try to follow your suggestions. Got a horrible feeling I’ve cocked it up even more than before... a little knowledge and all that jazz. It didn’t happen like this in the old days...

      LX

      Delete
    3. Go to 'design' in the top bar of your posts or dashboard to sort it out. If you need to, start all over again, but ignore G+. You can make an identical blog, and once that works you can delete the old one. Make sure you include a list of bloggers somewhere, and make sure you allow others to 'follow'.

      Delete
  4. Interesting study. Love your Trump comment. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried to read your blog but I see you are being paid to write it anyway. Dopamine and revenue. Nice trick.

      Delete
  5. I don’t really share my opinions or give advice on my blog ..... I just write a load of old twaddle ..... but, what I like is ‘ meeting ‘ people and having a bit of a laugh !!! I probably don’t think that my opinion matters much !!! I like it when people comment .... it’s nice to have a virtual chat even if mine is a bit shallow and full of double entendres !!! 🤣 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the photos of beautiful women on your blog. Reminds me of that creep, David Hamilton, without as much Vaseline on the lens - or anywhere else.

      Delete
  6. Free and legal, I am in! It might also be that there are some very good story tellers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bonus. We have world-class story tellers here.

      Delete
  7. Yes my name is John " Russell Crowe " Gray and I am a blog addict..........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Y’all amuse me on this dreary much needed rain in mid Missouri. Gabs

      Delete
    2. Of the feel-good factor? I don't think so.

      Delete
    3. I don't think it was meant to be funny Jane.

      Delete
    4. Oops, but the whole run of replies made me laugh from suppliers to whispers.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. You should have seen me at the height of my cocaine addiction, Weave. Larf? I almost wet myself.

      Delete