Thursday 14 December 2017

I blame Dickens


Shawn and Cro have got me thinking about childhood Christmases - again.

I gave up on Christmas shortly after leaving the family home and shortly after our parents sold the home and shortly after my brother stole all the money from the sale. Once you give up on Christmas, it is difficult to go back. It is nothing to do with growing up, even though the next generation of children are the excuse for trying.

As a child, late on Christmas night I would go out into the darkness in the full knowledge that no harm could possibly come to me on this night of all nights. I was acutely aware that there was more chance of my being murdered by my own family members indoors.

Auntie Iris (my father's sister) and Uncle Alf would arrive from Brighton on Christmas Eve with my lesbian cousin, and alcohol would be drunk as Alf told stories about WW2 and his part in Hitler's downfall. For the rest of the year, the booze stayed in the cupboard.

On Christmas day, the long wait for the opening of the presents would begin, and this would stretch well past the supper of cold turkey and bubble and squeak. Every year a small, bad-taste present would be returned from one family to the other, who took it in turns to give it back.

This gift would be more and more elaborately disguised each year, so as to try and fox the receiver from guessing that this was it. Each year the parcel would be larger than the last, and inside would be an ever diminishing series of boxes to be unwrapped until the smallest of them all containing the actual object. I cannot remember what it was, but I do remember that nobody wanted it. This was a 'tradition'.

As a ten-year old, it was my job to mix and serve drinks for all the grown-ups. I was allowed a couple of port and lemonades. With my back turned to the adults, only I knew how much port went into the lemonade. This was the beginning of my long career as a part-time alcoholic.

Still, I was not so seriously alcoholic as my other male, gay cousin, who eventually died as a direct result of drinking, but not before his parent's life savings had also been stolen from him by his lodger.

Like I say, life's events make going back to childhood Christmases impossible, but we still try.

30 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Tom, if only it were not so sad; every one seemed they were cheating in some way - even the disguised gift was doing its round of cheating.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only real cheat was the conning out of the life savings.

      Delete
  2. At 10 I wouldn't have known if my cousin was lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't, we just suspected - even when she married a man. It was confirmed when she married a woman.

      Delete
    2. It was obvious that my male gay cousin was of that persuasion from the age of about 3.

      Delete
  3. Having just consumed a boiled egg, I would turn the shell over and ask the children who wanted another one. Of course they all knew it was empty, but there was huge fun pretending to be surprised. We still do it nowadays. A bit like opening your homing present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that with my parents, but my father wouldn't go along with it. He hated being made to look stupid.

      Delete
  4. We often talk about re-gifting the horrid presents, but we wouldn't want anyone to think we would choose the thing in the first place. It is very tempting to re-gift to R's sister-in-law because we suspect she buys us ugly things on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas in my house was rather desultory. It was the afternoon/evening visit to a relative's house that was warm and fun and Christmas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comment of "never be afraid of the bin" has made me laugh so much. I'm home alone apart from the dog and she promptly left the room!
    You are sunshine on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs generally leave the room when I laugh too.

      Delete
  7. No one has mentioned the washing up after Christmas dinner. It was a time for a good chat, a lot of laughs and often was way more entertaining than dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last family Christmas involved one sister washing up, me drying up and the other collecting plates from other rooms. It worked so well that the washing up was done about five times before we realised that the dried plates were being put back on the draining board to be washed again.

      Delete
  8. Apart from the Christmas's I provided for my own kids I have not one memory of a Christmas of my own childhood. How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reasonably weird, but then I do not know your background.

      Delete
  9. Christmas was over after my parents split up. I remember dipping into the Tom and Jerry mix at our yearly Christmas party. The adults seemed to like it a lot. Christmas eve I'd help my mother decorate the tree. -stringing popcorn to hang on the tree, one for the tree, one in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Tom and Jerry mix confectionary, music, video or some other thing? I longed for a game of 'Suck the Tail off the Donkey' when I was a kid.

      Delete
    2. It's a spiced, sugary mix that I added to hot water & the adults added to hot water and booze.

      Delete
  10. I was just captivated by the page from your Rupert album. My son had one in his stocking each year for years when he was growing up - and we often quote a rhyming couplet - 'I do declare said Mrs Bear, If that's not Rupert flying up there' (upon seeing Rupert floating over in a hot air balloon.
    Now - particularly this year- Christmas holds no joy at all for me but I shall make the effort for the sake of my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do it for the grandchildren Weave. You never know, you may end up having fun! The Farmer would want that, I am sure. Spoiler: I have sent your card, and it is identical to the image above!

      Delete
    2. I had them too Weave. Occasionally I still go through them!

      Delete
    3. I seem to recall you loving Rupert as a young man in your 20s.

      Delete
  11. Rupert the bear! Yes my Christmas annuals. Also Mr EMs even though he was a mere babe when I was already reading them for myself. Loved the rhyming couplets. Many years later when I was working near Fleet Street I went into the glorious art deco Daily Express building to buy him a yellow checked Rupert scarf for his birthday. We both had lovely childhood Christmasses though mine was more involved with baby Jesus than his (Catholic v Scots anti-papist).

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had wonderful childhood Christmases .... it was always a very special time shared with grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins. Always a real tree which we all decorated, pillow cases overflowing with inexpensive presents, including that soapy chocolate tool kit that we ate at 5.00 a.m !! ... games and usually arty things for me. One year, from my Mum and Dad my present was my swimming club track suit and a leather netball ..... I thought that was amazing ..... I don't think children would be very pleased to get them now !!! My Grandmother made the best turkey soup which we seemed to have every lunchtime for days !!
    Such lovely memories. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I had forgotten the soapy chocolate tool kit. I still remember the glass baubles and lead tinsel.

      Delete
    2. On government orders they have made the tinsel non-toxic and the new stuff doesn't stick to the tree.

      Delete