Friday 17 November 2017

FIRE ONE...


I have ordered some new fake logs for the pub's gas fire. I want the fire to look as good as possible for when I make the internal video with the drone.

The fake coals and logs which are in there now are a bit tired, plus the chimney sweep did not put a cloth over the hearth when he swept the flu a couple of weeks ago, and the gas jets are covered in a deep pile of old soot, which is why there is a gap in the flames.

Our chimney sweep actually wears a battered top hat as in a Dickens illustration or Dick Van Dyke's portrayal of an East-Ender. It turns out that all sweeps in England are entitled to wear top hats ever since one of the King Georges proclaimed them to be Gentlemen a few hundred years ago. This is something which has taken all my life to learn.

A proper old coaching inn like The Bell should always have a large, welcoming fire in the Winter months. I have made many copies of 16th and 17th century stone fire surrounds in the past, so I know the symbolism of the details better - it seems - than the significance of the sweep's top hat. On many of the jambs of old surrounds, there is a curious little detail carved in which represents a 'Marmite' or lidded stew pot. This symbolises hospitality. The cold and hungry traveller will be fed as he warms himself by the generous fire.

I even surprise myself at my acceptance of good pastiche. I really don't mind artificial logs on a gas fire, so long as the fire actually warms you and the logs look good. I even like Prince Charles's fake English village.

I notice that this photo is saved under the title, 'FIRE 1'. When I read it I was taken back to the opening sequence of that under-water puppet action series, 'Stingray'.


23 comments:

  1. Why on earth isn't there a real fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 reasons. 1, there was a real fire recently but there were issues of safety which could only be sorted by a complete flu restoration. Old timbers are mounted into the chimney breast walls, and in some cases are exposed.

      2, most the bar staff would not have the commitment to take care of the maintenance. They are not paid enough for a start, and customers often stack up fuel to a dangerous degree unnoticed. It has happened in the past and is not worth risking lives for. That's the way it goes these days.

      Delete
  2. I assume that Bath is a smokeless zone Tom ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. An efficient wood burner would be acceptable, but it isn't an open fire with all that visual stuff. Believe me, a good gas one is the answer.

      Delete
  3. The bulb has blown in my Dimplex electric wall fire. This means that although the fire still works there are no artificial flames flickering up and down. Shouldn't make any different to the heat it throws out but it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days, they make wood effect ones which give off a vapour which acts like real smoke. I have a vape which does the same thing, but it isn't warming.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh. I will be behind the drone so as not to spoil the video.

      Delete
    2. The pub will be empty, of course. I may not be as stupid as you think.

      Delete
    3. I didn't think you stupid. I didn't understand the filming.

      Delete
    4. Oh sorry. The drone filming takes place before opening time. We even have to turn mobile phones off to prevent interference with the navigation system They lock onto about 13 satellites. SatNav uses 3.

      Delete
    5. Oh. An empty pub. I always think of pubs as full of people and at other times just upturned chairs on tables and bar cloths hanging over pump handles.

      Delete
  5. Well you can second my response if you feel strongly enough about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know about the top hat and chimney sweeps. Another wrinkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has taken me this long to discover that too.

      Delete
  7. I must say that your local looks extremely cosy. A perfect winter pub'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. It was built as a coaching inn over 300 years ago. It had a duty to be cosy.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Most of the time. Well, until about 6.30 anyway.

      Delete