Wednesday 26 July 2017

My work here is done...


This is the friendliest wild fox in Britain. It comes up to you and expects to be stroked. I don't think I have shown you this picture before, but it's too early in the morning to remember.

My posts are brief or non-existent right now because I am on pressing Summer School duties.

On the way there yesterday, we happened upon a big car-crash on a dangerous junction, and I got out to see if I could help. People were wandering around dazed and disoriented. The disorientation was partly because they didn't know their location - in the countryside - so I called the ambulance. I knew where I was.

A child was also wandering about in shock, carrying her doll. The phone signal kept cutting out so I had to dial 999 three times before giving all the location details and answering questions to do with blood loss or if anyone was thrown from a vehicle. Nobody seemed too badly hurt, so, having put a man in charge of the situation, we carried on to the Summer School, ten minutes later.

Oh well, time to go again.

20 comments:

  1. Horrid to come across an accident like that. The fox is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one of those people who spring into action in those situations. All the normal fears about ghastly images and experiences are dispelled immediately. I am lucky like that. I am not haunted by the visual memories for years after either. I would have made a good military paramedic.

      Delete
    2. I once looked after an Irishman who fell five stories onto his face on a pavement here and watched him die until an ambulance (also called by me) arrived. There was a nurse as well, but we agreed that it would be pointless to turn him over, and I was glad of that. There was a river of blood running down the road - enough to indicate that he had lost enough not to survive. Happy days!

      Delete
    3. I saw a man fall four storeys from a balcony on the Azores. I thought the maids were throwing the dirty laundry over the balcony and I stood watching. He landed with a thud a few feet from me. I knew then and only then it wasn't the laundry. He died but there was no blood.

      Delete
    4. Maybe the maids were vampires.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This is not the first time you have presumed wrongly.

      Delete
  3. Are you known to the fox in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I came across it when researching foxes for a sculpture.

      Delete
  4. This reminds me of a book I read a while back: The Uninvited Guests. It deals with an accident in the English countryside and the "survivors" (they weren't really survivors) crashing a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would rather crash a party than a car.

      Delete
  5. Is that an urban fox Tom? Incidentally I still have not had a chance to collect the print from the sorting office - hopefully tomorrow. If I am not careful it will be returned to you before i get a chance to visit - it is only open 6am to 10am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phann San or whatever is back again on your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. Thanks. I will check. Cunts.

      Delete
    2. They usually take over someone else's defunct site but it takes a while to work out which one. Cunts...

      Delete
  7. The fox has a dog-like face. Very docile-looking.

    ReplyDelete