Thursday 13 July 2017

Everyone likes a bargain, but...


I've just watched the drone video of Gop Hill over at John's blog, and - like Toad of Toad Hall - I freshly desire a drone-mounted video camera.

Not any old drone, it has to be a really good one with a broadcast-quality camera slung underneath it.

If I had more money, I really would resemble Toady in my fads. When I want something, it has to be the best of its kind, or at least the best that I can afford. H.I. feels exactly the same way, which is why we took delivery of a fan-heater costing £400 yesterday. We have spent too many Winters getting blasted by stiflingly hot air one minute and stupefyingly cold the next by using fan heaters which cost £18, and we could have used the cooling facility of this latest one during the heat wave last week.

When I bought a telescope, it had to be the biggest and best that I could afford - with telescopes, size matters.

H.I. bought a pair of Italian designer shoes a couple of weeks ago which are studded with diamonds. Real diamonds. Don't worry, they are not as crass as they sound in the basic description (see above), and they were a genuine bargain.

She is very good at trawling the net and finding good bargains - a £2000 watch for £400 for her, a £2000 Armani suit costing £175 for me.

I recently bought a Bose (the best) £130 Bluetooth speaker set for £2, but I paid full-price for the Bose speakers attached to this computer.

If there is no cheaper alternative, we tend to just buy it anyway. Thrift has its limits in this household.

17 comments:

  1. Soon the skies will be full of drones dropping little packages on our roofs or porches. Some little boys got theirs stuck in a tree out back and couldn't get it out, so avoid trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel deprived. Not only do I not own a pair of diamond studded shoes, but I also have no desire for a Panavision Drone. Where did I go wrong|?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In answer to your rhetorical question, you went to the wrong school.

      Delete
    2. ...then the wrong Art School, then the wrong country.

      Delete
  3. I love to quote the book, but am far more apt to quote Ratty or Mole or Mr. Badger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was more like them, but I have to admit to being more like Toad than any of the other characters. Maybe a touch of Badger in certain circumstances...

      Delete
  4. We have the Dyson heater/ cold air ..... it cost loads and it's rubbish !!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine cost loads and is very good. Maybe you bought the first model?

      Delete
    2. I think it might be ..... it's really noisy so you can't hear yourself speak or hear the tele and it takes hours to heat the room up ..... we had a small fan heater that cost about £9 which was brilliant for heating the room up if we didn't want the heating on !!! Our Dyson vacuum cleaner is pretty rubbish too !!! I'm not a Dyson fan ( haha!! ) at the moment !!! XXXX

      Delete
    3. Thank you for subsidising my research! XXXX!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear - sounds very much like Toad Hallish to me Tom - what about rainy days?
    The cartridge address you asked for is:
    www.cartridgediscount.co.uk
    good delivery and good discount. Can recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Weave, but I didn't ask for the address - I thought I was suggesting it to you! Anyway, I am glad that you have sourced your own supply. Why spend more? Yes, Toadishness is my primary fault.

      Delete
  6. I would love a drone! But i know i would crash the bastard within minutes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be my worry - take up £1000 worth of gear and crash it within seconds. Oh well, practice x 10?

      Delete