Sunday, 2 July 2017

Cascade


I slept on the sofa last night and, as usual, woke up too early, so spent the next four hours drifting in and out of sleep listening - or half listening - to all four episodes of Wilkie Collin's 'The Woman in White'. I think I know what happened.

I have quite vivid dreams during these times, and a recurring one is where I am in a large house with a very leaky roof during a furious rain storm, and water cascades through the plaster ceiling onto my bed. No prizes for interpreting this one - in fact, no prizes for anything, including my offer in the colourful tourist post. I lied.

I like the word, 'cascade' and I am amazed that it has never (to my knowledge) been used for a fizzy drink. Cascade says it all to a thirsty soda-pop drinker, being evocative on several different levels - 'ade' as in 'lemonade', 'cask' as in a barrel of liquid, and the image of more cool, foaming water than you could possibly drink, tumbling over a picturesque rocky outcrop in a fertile holiday destination. If anyone from Schweppes or Coca Cola is reading this, I hereby claim intellectual property rights to the name.

I just deleted about 500 words on the end of this post, because I think you have read them about 500 times already.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure that one is supposed to be sympathetic to such people, but in reality they are a pain. I've had similar experiences, and have had to be 'blunt'.

    Now no-one will know what I'm on about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will probably think you are talking to them about me.

      Delete
  2. Were you in the dog house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I like to change the nocturnal environment every now and then. Anyway, we have our own rooms.

      Delete
  3. The Woman in White has one of my favourite literary characters -- Count Fosco. I can imagine it would give you a sleepless night though. We have a very leaky bathroom ceiling at the moment --and lots of rain. Fortunately, most, but not all, of the water is leaking over the bathtub!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Cascade" is the name of a dishwasher detergent over here. I have a box of it in my kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just down loading 'The Woman in White' from the bbc player. I love this thing, beats the tv any day.
    Such a coincidence, I also slept on the sofa last night finally getting to sleep at 4 a.m. Seagulls and b***** chimes next door partly contributed to this but who knows what else, spent the time listening to 'Eight months on Ghazza Street' again from the iplayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love iPlayer, I love the BBC and I love my Bose Bluetooth speakers. I love the Bath Abbey bells, but I hate the inferior bells of St Michael's Without. I also do not like the seagulls...

      Delete