Wednesday 28 June 2017

Toughened glass is good stuff


This is a projection screen for an 'art' video and was made by Dan - AKA, Stanley Donwood - the man who does Radiohead's album covers.

A couple of years ago he made the same image in black and white and the screen miraculously stayed up intact for ages until some crappy graffiti artist who is supposed to be famous painted it out with some meaningless and ugly imagery. I never got round to seeing the projection.

Talking of vandalism, my workshop has been smashed up sometime over the few days when I haven't been there. They broke a load of roof tiles and smashed a skylight. I really don't understand the joy of wanton destruction. Part of the problem is that it looked uncared for, because I let the nettles grow waist high, so I have strimmed the whole area now - too late.

I am so please I installed toughened glass in the main windows, because people have tried to smash them many times in the 17 years they have been there, and each time the rocks have just bounced off.

It gives me pleasure to imagine their frustration, but it is not a great deal of pleasure.

As you can tell from the quality of this post, I am somewhat bored and despondent today.


9 comments:

  1. It gives that sick feeling of disappointment, anger and frustration all in one dose. When we had the farm we never locked anything on the grounds that if they were going to get in they would get in anyway and then we would have to mend things. We never had a break in. The new people lock everything, installed security lights and cameras and have had break-ins ever since we left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't leave it unlocked. There is stuff inside which would be worthless to thieves but cost me thousands to replace, even if I could. I used to leave my car unlocked, but one night people got in, had a party, then left leaving beer cans and chip wrappers.

      Delete
    2. P.S. The workshop has steel doors with high-quality padlocks on. The only way in is through the roof unless you use cordless cutting gear.

      Delete
    3. I understand. We were isolated and lucky and foolish.

      Delete
  2. We secured our displays at shows; nevertheless, canvass and zippers are easily defeated. There was "security" at most shows. The only time I had trouble in twenty years was the morning I found spray paint on a good deal of inventory. The show promoter was distraught, but didn't know what to do. The "security" supposed I could have done it at the studio and brought it all to a show to file a police report. And so on and so forth. I went to the trade magazine and explained all. The next year the show had no decent applicants and the next year was gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We insure everything for exhibitions and only claimed once when someone turned their back on a painting whilst wearing a rucksack with buckles, but that was accident.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you need a couple of Pit Bulls at your workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the rocks bounce back and hit 'em! The piece by the Radiohead art dude is pretty groovy, btw. (You can tell by the quality of this comment that I'm somewhat bored...).

    ReplyDelete