Wednesday 7 June 2017

No such thing as Society

One day to go and emotions are running high. I do hope Cro makes it through without having a seizure. It's too late for Diane Abbott.

Here in middle-class Bath, it's a two-horse race between Conservative and what's left of the Lib Dems. Labour doesn't stand a chance. I suppose in the light of recent upsets I shouldn't say that.

I think that the biggest reason for all the mess everyone is in right now is that there has been a distinct lack of strategy in pretty much every plan of action for the last 50 years.

There was no strategy in place for the unlikely outcome that Britain voted itself out of the European Union.

There was no strategy in place for when things went horribly wrong after the interventions in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and even Vietnam.

The only strategies that have stood any chance of working out as predicted have been short-term, privately financed, economic ones. This is why we are being so nice to Saudi Arabia. 'We' sell them the bombs which they drop on the heads of Yemeni civilians. They drop bombs on the heads of Yemenis because we have politely asked them if they could, perhaps, do just a little bit more to stem the flow of radical nut-cases emanating from their country. It is - to them - a bloody good excuse. Do you remember when they were so powerful that they upped the price of oil just to teach us a lesson for showing 'The Death of a Princess' on TV?

The economic crash of about 9 years ago was predicted about 20 years before that, and the people who made the accurate prediction kept it as quiet as possible for as long as possible, for the sake of their own personal finances. They knew it was going to happen, because it was them who made it possible.

In our system of adversarial politics, the government changes at least every four years, so there is no real incentive to make plans that extend any further than that. Strength and stability my arse.

The Labour Party (new, improved) only got in last time because Tony Blair spent about three months touring the world and making deals with unsavoury global business people - before he was even voted in. "Can I count on your support?" "What's it worth?"

Where is the humanity in all of this?

31 comments:

  1. There are the manipulators and the manipulatees. Pick your poison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The humanity is inside all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And in the US, what do we have to look forward to? Noam Chompsky just said in an article, that we haven't seen anything yet from Trump. I wish I could move to Tasmania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have pretty much summed up our human condition. In Southport it's the same choice. Our MP is a lib dem. If they don't win it will be a conservative. The weird thing is this time -- the only politician I can stomach listening to is Jeremy Corbyn -- couldn't vote for him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - Corbyn actually speaks a lot of humane sense, until he gets onto the figures of funding.

      Delete
  5. You are obviously having a totally disillusioned day - me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think I have spent many years thinking along these lines, but you do not deserve a day of disillusionment Weave.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Me too. I really do think she has cracked under the pressure. Also, in the run-up to tomorrow, people think that the outcome is SO important that they are willing to be as offensively horrible to anyone who does not hold the party view.

      I know that I could not stand that sort of onslaught, and I feel for the poor thing. There again, I did not get into politics - even for the wrong reasons.

      Delete
    2. I feel sorry for her too. She has obviously been way out of her depth.

      Delete
    3. You change direction like the wind. I said ages ago that I do not take much that you say seriously. There is no point. You say one thing then you do another.

      Delete
    4. I have no change of direction. She is out of her depth.

      Delete
    5. I can still feel sorry for her -
      I have humanity whatever you may think of me. I don't really like you very much. You are not a particularly nice person are you?

      Delete
    6. Now you sound like Eddie Mair - another person you profess to despise.

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    8. You go for nasty pieces of work though. Did you ever fancy Boris Johnson?

      Delete
    9. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    10. That comment of mine entered in the wrong order. It should have gone in 3 up.

      Delete
    11. Fucking hell. Do you two have any sort of life outside of my fictitious blog? Why don't you both go to bed? I am not as desperate for attention as you seem to believe. I just drink as much as you, that's all.

      Delete
  7. Jeeze, I'm looking forward to Saturday.

    ReplyDelete