Tuesday 25 April 2017

Let's make a deal

I won't talk about my medical problems or life threatening illnesses and you won't either. Is that ok with you?

I don't mind talking about death itself. That is just part of life, but I am sick to the gullet of everyone who has had a dismal prognosis who thinks that spilling their guts about it may - in some way -  help others.

It doesn't.

Got that?

(I ought to explain that this was a deal I would have liked to make with the BBC after yet another program on illness last night, broadcast when they believed everyone would be watching TV)

18 comments:

  1. Here, here. I have actually offended a couple of friends by saying exactly that. I don't want to hear about illness I am sick of it. Every time I turn on the tele or the radio there is someone talking about a disease of some sort, I'm fed up with it.
    We all have problems to deal with and it doesn't help to have it all thrown in your face.
    Phew, that's got that off my shoulders. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel guilty when I feel like telling someone that I don't want to hear about it.

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way about those who give up smoking too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I was just about to tell you of my..? Okay - I wont!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. But it is so big and it's about to burst.....ok I won't tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has your friendly pub' giant been boring you with tales of his ingrowing toenails?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make a valid point, some blogs read like sitting next to the awful medical bore in a doctor's waiting room. Sometimes, only sometimes, it can actually help the person themselves by sharing the problem but often all the person wants is for the reader to permanently feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reacting to yet another medical program on the radio, not here.

      Delete
  7. I ought to say that I was talking about other media like TV and radio, not blog land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough but you only added the last paragraph after we had commented.

      Delete
    2. I know. I was half pissed when I wrote the stuff above it, so I forgot to make it clearer.

      Delete