Thursday 19 May 2016

Long live know-alls

I have spent the last month trying to source some very elusive mineral - worldwide - the locality of which is a very closely guarded secret due to its scarcity. The trouble is I want at least two tons of it.

I was about to give up because I had no intention of dealing with Eastern European mafioso, when a benign potential source suddenly popped up due to a chance encounter on You Tube. It is at times like these when you really understand that although you may have to plough your way through all sorts of unspeakable shite, You Tube really does serve a good purpose. I am constantly amazed at how so many people - also worldwide - altruistically put stuff up there without any expectation of reward. Well this man is going to be rewarded.

Just when you are about to lose heart with the internet in general and your service-provider refuses to tell you how to fix something which has gone wrong with its own system without charging you $$$s, you remember the forums and all the cries for help, most of which are answered by Good Samaritans who seem to live for the service of others. It almost restores your faith in humanity - almost.

Do you remember the times in the playground when you almost hit the kid who sidled up to you and asked, "Can you keep a secret?" only to whisper, "So can I!" when you replied in the affirmative?

If I am ever asked that question these days, I always say "No." They are going to tell you anyway, so why lie?

16 comments:

  1. Talking of faith in humanity, it's just dawned on me why Weaver went off on a cruise without telling us, sparking off all sorts of speculation about her demise. She didn't want us to go round to her empty house and burgle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went round but all i could half inch were some large print library books and novelty teapot

      Delete
    2. You should have looked under the mattress.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Weaver is wise.

    It's good to be reminded that some folks may not be know it alls, but are know something about its. I am uncertain whether I should have added some hyphens, and await advice.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only advice is that you completely re-write whatever point you were trying to make, then somebody might understand. If you are in recovery from a stroke, then please forgive this insensitive reaction.

      Delete
    2. No stroke here.

      Let's start over tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, that sounded a bit curt, but I was just exercising my particular brand of 'humour'. No need to re-write it, I'll just struggle on with the original draft.

      Delete
  3. I am intrigued by the notion of a train spotting type making a video of themselves reading out interesting facts about rare minerals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, in fact it was a spin-off which I picked up on. He is a nurseryman.

      Delete
  4. I can be trusted totally with a secret. I'm not a gossip and I'm good at keeping my mouth shut.

    Glad you traced a source for the elusive mineral. But don't put any inappropriate hyphens in the order or he might refuse to deal with an obvious illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And, pray tell, what are you going to do with this elusive mineral?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Searching for elusive stuff on the net won't have the police knocking on your door will it?

    ReplyDelete