Wednesday 24 June 2015

Values

When I hit what I call the bottom, I think of others who have gone a fuck sight deeper than me.

Tonight I am counting my blessings, by which I mean that I am making imaginary comparisons with imagined others, whose circumstances I can only imagine.

John has put up a load of crucifixion images which relate to the abuse - in one way or another - of children. The artist is from Cuba, a country which, for the last 50 years or so, has not been known for its sympathy toward Christians, homosexuality, or anything else which could be seen to fly in the face of the revolutionary father's vision of society.

I keep finding out that some of the most extraordinary, ordinary, bog-standard people I know just happen to be quiet Christians.

I could name them and you would recognise their names, but - what the hell - what difference would it make?

You don't have to be a church-goer to have Christian values, and you don't even have to be a Christian either.

Don't worry, I am not turning into a God-botherer. 

11 comments:

  1. Thank God someone else is up as late as me. What happened to all the night owls? The only declared 'Christians' I know well are self-centered bigots. And that's in my extended family. But I do know a lot of lovely and loving people who espouse the best of true Christian values and never go near a church nor would describe themselves as such.Night night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, good and bad never had anything to do with Christianity or any religion. It's rather something connected with honor and decency and rooted deeply inside of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact I often think it's the ones who go around preaching who are the least 'Christian' in their actions. As someone once said to me 'they have one hand on the bible, and the other on their prick'. I agree with Elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the points Tom seemed to be making is that there are surprising numbers of 'quiet Christians. These days admitting t being a Christian (or any faith) is almost a taboo subject, especially as it can invoke such hostility. I am a 'quiet Christian' and I admonish myself for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am certainly not a church goer, neither am I a Christian - but values and way of life at not just limited to Christians. I like to think I have the right attitudes and values and that I live a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can abide the quiet ones. Whatever makes them happy. I just don't want to hear the loud mouthed ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The people of faith who attract me most are those who simply live their faith. That speaks volumes more to me than those who shout it from the rooftops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen those images before; they are difficult. I think most people, with or without religion are bog-standard decent human beings intent only on taking care of their few hundred square feet of life. It's the stuff that radiates outward, keeps nations and people on an even keel. That's all I know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was listening to an interview on the radio about a young kiwi teacher who happened to be volunteering as a medic in Thailand during the tsunami. Had to sort bidies etc. but The most interesting of the interview, was

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... him talking about his and others' motivation to do volunteer work. He said many did it because of their belief in the Karmanic cycle. He said his own motivation was because it was just a good thing to do. I liked that.

    ReplyDelete