Thursday 21 May 2015

Hands up anyone who knows how to peel a potato

INSERT IMAGE HERE

If there's one thing I have learned over the last couple of years, it is 'never volunteer for anything'.

When I was a kid and we had a couple of pianos in the house, my uncle used to say that - if ever I should find myself in the army and the Sergeant-Major asked anyone to raise their hand if they could play the piano, I was not to admit to it. He said the thing would go like this:

"Hands up anyone who can play piano."

Gullible private raises hand.

"Right. Follow me. You're peeling potatoes for the next two weeks."

Two years ago, a Board member asked me if I could think of anything that the pub could do for the Bath Fringe and associated activities. I said he had left it too late to do anything worthwhile, so we should speak after Christmas.

About three months after Christmas he asked me again, and I came up with the idea of a video-mapping event (don't ask, just find out for yourselves if you're that interested). Good idea he said, could I organise it?  Yes, I said. That was when my persona was taken over by Linda Snell.

If I had known exactly how much work was going to be left entirely up to me in order to make a 6 minute video a reality, then I would have kept my bloody mouth shut.

I only hope it will be worth it.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Do we get to see the video?
    I read 'Pee a potato' at first. I thought that might be some Stephenson-esque way of saying you have kidney stones and was all ready to be commiserating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You must have spotted it within the first few seconds, because that is how long it took me to correct it! It will be on You Tube next week. I put it up here too.

      Delete
    2. Kate, that is exactly what I saw and thought! Figured it was just me or one of those brain hiccups.

      Delete
  2. You should have paid that geezer to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand, it is said that if you want something doing, ask someone who's always busy. They always find time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit like, 'No good turn goes unpunished'?

      Delete
  4. I saw pee the potato, too, but was on the way out the door and had no time. I could never have reconciled the fate of the potato to the content.
    Anyway, calm down. I think it's called first night jitters. The rest is your normal complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still not over. I am now home and it's 1.00am. Someone forgot the right lenses for the projector, and had to drive a round 30 mile trip to replace them, and the amp blew. The amp is still not fixed. Tomorrow is another (and the last) day. Stressed? Me?

      Delete
    2. The electrician has gone away for a long weekend, he asked me to tell you.

      Delete
    3. You don't know how true that is.

      Delete
  5. For half price I bought a left-handed peeler. When I got it home I couldn't work it. There were hundreds of them in a wicker basket marked Spud Peelers 50% off.

    ReplyDelete