Tuesday 2 September 2014

A growling of Lamborghinis


H.I., Daughter and The Boy. I took this photo prior to the cake-dropping ceremony in the West End because all I could think of when I saw them - wine in hand - was Ab Fab. It is often like this, especially in London. I bought her that Armani coat for her birthday.

Daughter was reminiscing about her childhood when we were there, as she often does to people who do not know her that well. The gist of it is that she was not allowed to have a childhood - both parents were too cool for that.

Daughter was born in London and brought up in Soho for the first four years of her life, her mother having fled Sheffield to go to the Slade to be there.

I remember her insisting on calling her parents 'mummy' and 'daddy' when she was about 8, even though they tried to encourage her to call her by their first names.

She always wanted a Christmas tree when she was a kid too, but the only concession to this was when - one year - parents bought a very abstract, white, tree-like apparatus which folded up like an umbrella when not in use, and it was not in use for over 51 weeks of the year, and even then only used once to my knowledge.

She has made up for it over the last 40 or so years now, and her real trees are the largest that can be fitted into her house and laden with massive golden balls, tinsel and all manner of designer gee-gaws bought at great expense on a small budget.

Last year, she bought about £200 worth of scented candles as well. They both swear that they are NOT fashion victims, but you should see them going in and out of all those shops in Bond Street. The expressions on their faces are somewhat disturbing.

They came out of one shop just before the cake incident, and D said, "I've just found a gorgeous jacket for Mum. It's only £15,000."

Her voice was all but drowned out by the sound of a Lamborghini Diabolo growling past at 4 miles per hour.

26 comments:

  1. I believe Arabia is very quiet at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All their silly cars are in Knightsbridge!

      Delete
    2. Some of them are. All of them have the garages to store them when they go elsewhere to drive the others.

      Delete
  2. Darling Tom,

    Well, the sight of The Boy emerging from a sponge confection would indeed have been a sight for sore eyes! He looks like the sort who would be game for a laugh.....although being dropped from a great height might not have been entirely to his liking!

    And, the Armani coat.....oh, the Armani coat...so incredibly stylish and worn with a perfect attitude by H.I. Of course, envy is a terrible thing and stealing can never be justified but we are feeling both of these emotions right now. For such a coat, a birthday is well worth having.

    And, we cannot imagine that any party with Daughter is a dull affair. A chip off the block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is plenty to steal from in her wardrobe - our household contents insurance is woefully inadequate.

      DEFINITELY a by-product, if not a chip.

      Delete
  3. Hi looks like a rock star
    Every inch
    Even down to the slight pout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has looked like that from the age of 15. She used to get stopped in the streets of London by people wanting her autograph. Very Monica Vitti in those days.

      Delete
  4. Perfect example of how children rebel against parents and choose the opposite route through life (i.e. Christmas trees). I am a five-star hotel person, my son is a camper - and nothing would persuade him to stay in a top hotel.
    Clothes of course are a total exception - all women adore clothes - well show me one who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right, Weave, on every level. I would have to give H.I. rohypnol to get her into a tent.

      Delete
  5. A coat to be proud of and, what a great present-giver you are Tom. I LOVE coats and jackets ….. preferably black and quirky but, I wouldn't pay fifteen grand for one { well …. maybe if I had 15 grand going spare !! } My excuse for buying yet another jacket is that I don't really care for expensive handbags or shoes { boots yes } so, I am really saving money !! …….and, I'm keeping people in work and helping the economy …… that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !
    H.I looks absolutely fabulous. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tom: I love that photo. What is on the ground? I have a tarp that has been sitting in my hard for months.

    Of course I have not been able to decipher who is actually blood related to you and who is not (daughter or daughter-in-law or step-daughter!?, same goes for the Boy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...yard...not hard. dear lord.

      Delete
    2. On the ground - in the foreground - is a dirty towel belonging to a dirty girl. Out of shot, there was a little black dress with silver sequins belonging to an even dirtier girl.

      Neither of them sat on my hard for even a second.

      There are no blood relations in that photo, just spiritual ones, fought hard for over 40 years.

      Delete
    3. hahaaa - no one has sat on my hard for awhile either.

      Your last sentence - thank you for the explanation and I have to admit, I got a little teary-eyed reading it.

      Delete
  7. They ARE a stylish bunch, all three generations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They are cursed in one way and blessed in another. I am only blessed.

      Delete
  8. I'm a Levi's and pink Converse kind of girl....but I love that coat! I agree with John...H.I. looks like a rock star! She wears that coat well. Great present, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing you are too old for Levis and pink Converse, but then I don't know if you are actually over 14 years old, never having tried to groom you.

      I have to say that H.I. chose the coat, I just paid for it, and not the original price!

      Delete
  9. H.I. looks absolutely fabulous in her designer coat - what style! Very lady rock star. And so lucky to have all her nearest and dearest around for her special birthday. Must admit that I am a tad envious of the coat, wish I'd thought of that. (Though I'm thrilled with the gift I chose for myself in Hermes...that I'm hoping will be presented to me next week in France.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At £300 a pop hardly cheap! But no, I have several of those already...

      Delete