Thursday 24 July 2014

Be careful what you wish for


You may remember me having a little moan about the blue smoke and smells of cooking belting out of this cylindrical chimney over the new Caribbean restaurant recently, and how I and a few loved-ones got a free meal as a result of my polite complaint.

The smoke carried on as normal for a week or two, so I made another polite - very polite - complaint to the manager, who told me that the wrong filter had been fitted and that the correct one would be installed this (last) Monday. He also gave us another free meal which we have yet to eat.

I was beginning to think that he was fobbing us off with excuses - until last Monday, when a few blokes began lugging several huge, black metal units up onto the roof and assembling it to make the gigantic contraption below.

It is difficult to understand the size of it from these photos, but suffice to say that the longest side is about ten feet.

I first thought that this restaurant might not last very long due to a sort of lack of commitment, but I have changed my mind since - they obviously mean business.

I had to laugh as it was being built - it was, after all, me who asked for it!


17 comments:

  1. I think it looks marginally more attractive than the top photograph Tom, but then, asyou say, it is difficult to judge the size. Try to look on it as the latest piece of Anthony Gormley sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to live in the shadow of an Anthony Gormley sculpture, I would move house.

      And by the way, I am getting that terrible music from your blog again! It is only your blog that I get it from, but it seems to be only me who hears it. Maybe I am going mad?

      Delete
  2. How was the food? Curry Goat, rice and peas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to order that, but others had different - the whitebait was good, but it all has a bit too much chilli for me these days.

      Delete
  3. They might not last long, due to all those free meals, and having to shell out for all that metal work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes it is - I am glad it's there, despite my complaints.

      Delete
  5. This is off topic, Tom, but I wanted to tell you that I made your cherry clafoutis last week. It was so good! I love to bake...it was fun trying something I'd never even heard of. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done! It is good, isn't it? I haven't made it for years.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Oh fuck...I bet more food based blogs are on the way......

      Delete
    4. Makes a refreshing change from posts about dog shit, don't you think?

      Delete
    5. Oh, sorry - Garlic Farts now, I see.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. There's only so many lampshades you can put on your head, but Lego is limitless.

      Delete