Tuesday 6 May 2014

Another sneak preview


I showed H.I. all your Patsy comments last night, and she ended up by saying that I should show you her latest painting, so here it is.

It is a crap photo - as usual - taken on a crap camera with a crap lens by a crap photographer, hence the awful colour, warped borders and lack of the subtlety which the real thing has in oodles.

H.I.'s paintings are probably the most difficult to reproduce faithfully, even with professional equipment, but this gives you an idea at least.

We had spent best part of a day in Seville, looking for the Moorish palace gardens - we had even taken a taxi out of town, mistaking an old castle for the palace on a map - and when we took a walk as the sun began to set, we realised that the huge old wall about 400 yards from our hotel was their edge.

A big old ginger tom-cat slept (all day and all night, as we later discovered) on the top of a stone pillar next to some steps, and after we had said hello to it, we went down to see this scene just over the wall.

A blackbird sat in silhouette above the wall, and the crescent moon hung in the darkening sky in front of a slender palm.

This painting is right beside me as I write, and to look at it perfectly brings back the memory of the warm, perfumed evening.

Here's a link to her WEBSITE for anyone who has not seen it - I really must update it!

29 comments:

  1. One of those portraits in the website is Green-Eyes, and you don't need me to tell you which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the reason I am sitting here writing this so late in the morning is because I am waiting for about 10 minutes-worth of work to be done on my car...

      Delete
    2. And no, it is not 3.09 in the morning, despite what this blog says.

      Delete
    3. No because the fucking clock is wrong.

      Delete
    4. I would have corrected it if I didn't know it pissed you off so much.

      Delete
    5. You are right. The date being wrong makes me sick.

      Delete
  2. Could you give me the dimensions of the painting. It would help. I can't see it very well on my phone, you know how it is..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is very subtle and pleasing to the eye and saleable I would guess. Is it oil?

      Delete
  3. I have to say that I am quite hard to please when it comes to art and, this is by no means a ' crawly ' comment but I LOVE H.I's pieces. She uses such mellow colours and they have such a tranquility about them. Is your compact but adorable apartment filled with them ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, Jack@. Some are racked up, some are in drawers, some are framed, some are not and some - like this one - are still on the easel.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Jacqueline. HI's paintings have a tranquility. I love the Istanbul paintings, but my favorite is Ursula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's one of my favourites too - and it look just like her.

      Delete
  5. "Havana"!
    Awesome color palette.
    I guess you can start calling her Jackie now on your blog though I wonder what H.I. means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't give them initials to protect them from you, it's to protect them evil others. Since H.I. has her own website, then I don't mind pointing you in its direction, but I don't want to use real names here, and I won't.

      H.I. stands for 'Her Indoors'.

      Delete
  6. Wow, very impressive - the paintings, the drawings and the C.V. If I had to choose I would take "Havana", because I love views from a window, and the atmosphere is so beautiful; very closely followed up by "Ursula" (so life-enjoying) and ""Gulls and Moon", which are enticingly mysterious,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of the illistrations from ARABIAN Nights

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked at the website on the computer, as opposed to the phone which I didn't even try to do today, and the paintings are brill. I particularly like Ursula because it reminds me of a Craigie Aichison. I had a good look at green eyes in passing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Aitchison has got an h in it.

      Delete
    2. Craigie Aitchison is one of our favourites. We know a gay couple here who have inherited his famous Bedlingtons. They live in Bath!

      Delete
  9. Love the picture, love the thought of Seville - one of my favourite cities, particularly if you go when the Seville oranges hang ripe on the trees along the sides of the streets - the smell is quite overpowering and i love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have only been there once - late last Summer.

      Delete